From everyone here at Sykes Cottages, we hope you had a very Merry Christmas and that you were able to spend the day with your loved ones. We also hope that you indulged in lots of delicious food and ate one too many mince pies! If you’re now wondering what to do with all the leftovers from your Christmas dinner then why not take a look at some of our favourite Christmas leftover recipes!
Mini Turkey and Cranberry Pies
Ingredients (makes 8 mini pies):
- 250g leftover turkey
- 8 tsp cranberry sauce
- 500g pack shortcrust pastry
- 8 tbsp double cream
- 1 egg, beaten
- Roll out the pastry onto a floured surface, making sure it is just thinner than a £1 coin. Using a cutter or small saucer, cut out 8 x 10cm circles then 8 x 9cm circles for the lids.
- Place the larger circles into 8 holes of a muffin tin, making sure to push it right to the edges of the hole. Divide the turkey, cranberry and cream between them. Brush the edges with egg.
- Place the smaller circles on top and push the sides of both pastry circles together.
- Leave in the fridge to chill for 15- 20 minutes.
- Set oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Brush the tops of the pies with egg and put in the oven for 25 minutes or until crispy and golden. Can be served warm or cold.
Turkey and Parsnip Curry
Ingredients (serves 4):
- 500g leftover turkey, boneless, cooked, cut into chunks
- 500g parsnips, peeled, cut into chunks
- 2 onions, cut into thin slices
- 5 tbsp Madras curry paste
- 400g chopped tomatoes
- 150g natural yoghurt
- Cooked basmati rice
- 2tbsp vegetable oil
- Heat oil in a saucepan, add onions and fry until softened. Add parsnips and stir well.
- Stir in curry paste and tomatoes with a pinch of salt. Add 1 ½ canfuls of water and bring to boil. Cover and leave to simmer for 15-20 minutes on a reduced heat.
- Stir in turkey, cover and simmer for a further 5 minutes or until turkey is heated through.
- Swirl in yoghurt and serve with basmati rice.
Boxing Day Fridge Cake
Ingredients (makes 16-20 squares):
- 500g chocolate (leftover Christmas tree chocolate/selection box chocolate)
- 100g unsalted butter
- 250fg leftover Christmas cake, chopped into small pieces
- 200g leftover Christmas biscuits (eg. biscotti, lebkuchen, amaretti), broken into small pieces
- 150g leftover nuts, dried fruit or nougat
- Melt chocolate and butter in a bowl set over a pan of simmering water.
- Once melted, mix in Christmas biscuits, Christmas cake and any leftover nuts, dried fruit or nougat.
- Pour mixture into a greased 20cm square brownie tin. Leave to chill in the fridge until set.
- Cut into squares and serve.
We hope you enjoy making these delicious Christmas leftover dishes and that you continue to enjoy the rest of the festive season. If you’re feeling a little sad that the big day is over and you’re already looking forward to next Christmas, why not consider booking one of our UK holiday cottages for next year. We have cottages across the UK and Ireland so if you fancy doing something a little different for Christmas next year, call one of our dedicated holiday advisors today on 01244 356 695.