Mums are, for most of us, the most important people in our lives. They’ve looked after us when we’re sick, let us wake them up in the middle of the night after a nightmare and always put us first, often acting as our personal bank along the way. Whilst as we grow up the need to be tucked in and consoled after a nightmare may subside one thing remains; our mums are always there for us. Whilst we can show our gratitude to our mums throughout the year, the perfect day to give her a real treat is Mothering Sunday. We think that allowing mum a lie in whilst you prepare her breakfast is one of the best ways to pamper your mum this Sunday, so take a look at our guide to preparing and making the perfect breakfast in bed.
Creating The Perfect Breakfast in Bed
Plan your menu in advance; making sure that it involves all of your mum’s favourite breakfast foods. Is your mum a lover of a fry up, or does she prefer to munch on muesli? Once you’ve decided on your mum’s perfect menu, head out and buy the ingredients then make life easy for yourself on Sunday morning by doing any preparation the night before. Once you’ve rustled up your mum’s delicious breakfast, pop it on a tray with a glass of her favourite fruit juice, tea or coffee along with a small vase of flowers before taking it to her to enjoy from the comfort of her duvet. If you want to cook your mum something special but you’re a little stuck for ideas, why not take a look at a couple of our favourite breakfast recipes below?
Vanilla and Cinnamon French Toast
To make three slices of French Toast
60ml of Milk
10g of Sugar
A dash of Vanilla Extract
Half a teaspoon of ground cinnamon
A knob of butter
3 Slices of Bread (French bread that is thickly cut and a day old will work best)
- Whisk the milk, eggs, vanilla, sugar and cinnamon in a shallow bowl.
- Melt the butter in a frying pan on a medium heat.
- Dip the slices of bread in the egg mixture, then add to frying pan.
- Cook each side until they begin to brown.
- Serve with maple syrup, bananas and fresh strawberries.
Tomato and Bacon Breakfast Bruschetta
To make four Bruschettas
750g Cherry Tomatoes
3 Tablespoons of Oil
1 Tablespoon of Balsamic Vinegar
4 Slices of nice thick bread
4 Rashers of Bacon
- Toss the cherry tomatoes in one tablespoon of the oil and the balsamic vinegar. Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper then bake them in a preheated oven at Gas mark 6, 200C for about twenty minutes.
- Whilst the tomatoes are baking, brush the bread with the other two tablespoons of oil and place on a baking tray. Put them in the oven during the last 10 minutes of cooking.
- Cook the bacon to your liking then either cut into pieces to mix with the tomatoes, or leave whole and place on top.
- Top the bruschetta with a poached egg to make it a little more filling.
We hope that this post has given you some ideas on how you can treat your mum to the perfect breakfast in bed this Sunday. If you’re a pro at creating a good breakfast, then tweet us and let us know your tips! If you’d like to completely spoil your mum this mother’s day with breakfast in bed in a lovely holiday cottage, it might not be too late! Take a look at our last minute cottages or give us a call on 01244 356666 and we’ll be happy to help.