Sykes Cottages recently teamed up with New Covent Garden Soup to offer a prize for their Great British Soup Competition. The competition was a fantastic success and New Covent Garden Soup received some delicious recipes from customers all over the UK. As the competition runner up and winner of the Sykes Cottages prize, we thought we’d share Lucy Haughey’s recipe for ‘Carrot, ginger & coconut soup’ with you.
Lucy’s ‘Carrot, ginger & coconut soup’
This yummy recipe for four people takes just 10 minutes to prepare and a further 20 minutes to cook. When speaking to Lucy about her recipe, she advised adding big floating cheese-topped croutons to the soup when serving.
- 500ml chicken or veg stock
- 6 chopped carrots
- 2 grated garlic cloves
- 1 chopped sweet potato
- 1 chopped large white onion
- 1 tin of coconut milk
- Nugget of fresh ginger
- Add all the vegetables to a large pan, pour in the stock and seasoning and simmer until soft.
- Once soft, blitz all the ingredients together.
- Pour into four separate bowls, add some coconut milk and chopped coriander before serving.
Click here to view Lucy’s original recipe.
As well as Lucy’s tasty recipe, there were also several other recipes we couldn’t wait to try! We’ve included some of our favourites below but to see all the recipes entered into Great British Soup Competition please click here.
Mama Manuela’s ‘Chicken and almond soup’
This family favourite has a wonderful Mediterranean feel and is perfect for four people. The recipe will take around 40 minutes to make and is inspired by Mama Manuela’s Spanish heritage.
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 crushed garlic cloves
- 1 litre of water
- 1 large chicken breast (diced)
- 1 small celery stick
- 1 hand full of toasted almonds (crushed)
- 1 hand full of barley
- Add the oil to a pan and fry the garlic.
- Remove the garlic and set to one side. Add the diced chicken and fry until golden brown.
- Poor a litre of water into a sauce pan with the diced celery, barley and almonds. Cook until barley is ready.
- Add the chicken and garlic before serving with toasted bread and butter.
Click here to view Mama Manuela’s original recipe.
Hayley’s ‘Spiced pumpkin and garlic’
Hayley’s heartwarming soup recipe will serve up to four people and takes around an hour to make. Hayley discovered this yummy recipe when she bought a Halloween pumpkin and wasn’t sure what to do with it. For an extra treat she advises topping with crumbled stilton and crispy bacon before serving.
- Half a medium pumpkin
- 500ml vegetable stock
- 2 red onions
- 1 head of garlic
- 1/2 tsp All spice
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- Roasted pumpkin seeds from the pumpkin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cut the pumpkin and onions into chunks and halve the head of garlic. Place on a baking try and roast in the middle of the oven at 200c for 30 minutes.
- Heat the veg stock in a pan.
- Blitz the roasted onion and pumpkin together in a processor. Squeeze in the roasted garlic and give the mixture another quick blitz.
- Add the spices and pumpkin mixture to the stock and combine together.
- Roast the pumpkin seeds and add to the top of the soup before serving.
Click here to view Hayley’s original recipe.