From everyone here at Sykes Cottages, we hope you had a very Merry Christmas! If like us, you spent the day indulging in lots of delicious food but STILL have some left over, then today’s blog post is for you. We’ve compiled three of our favourite recipes that you can make using the leftovers from your Christmas dinner – and they sound tasty! If you want some more ideas, you can also check out our leftover recipes blog from last year, which features mini turkey and cranberry pies, turkey and parsnip curry, and Boxing Day fridge cake.
Leftover Turkey Casserole (serves 4)
Recipe via BBC Good Food
- 400g-500g leftover turkey
- 350g leftover roasted vegetables eg. parsnips, carrots, roast potatoes
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 apple, peeled, cored, sliced
- 1 tbsp dried sage
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 300ml chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 2 tbsp runny honey
- Fry onion and apple in deep pan until soft. Stir in sage for 1 minute, then stir in flour.
- Slowly stir in stock followed by honey and mustard.
- Bring to a simmer and stir in turkey and roast vegetables.
- Cover and gently simmer for 15 mins until turkey is piping hot.
- Season and serve with mashed or baked potato.
Christmas Pudding Crumble (serves 6)
Recipe via Goodtoknow.co.uk
- 150g-200g leftover Christmas Pudding
- 60g butter
- 100g plain flour
- 1 cooking apple, peeled, cored, sliced
- 2 pears, peeled, cored, sliced
- 2 tbsp cranberry sauce
- 2 tbsp Demerara sugar
- Cream or custard to serve
- Set oven to Gas 4 or 180C. To make the topping, rub butter into the flour until it looks like breadcrumbs, then crumble in Christmas Pudding.
- To make the filling, add half fruit and 1 tbsp cranberry sauce into a dish. Then add the rest of the fruit and cranberry sauce, along with 1 tbsp sugar.
- Pour the topping over the fruit and sprinkle with remaining sugar. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Serve hot or cold, with custard or cream.
Boxing Day Risotto (serves 4)
Recipe via Goodtoknow.co.uk
- 250g leftover turkey and ham
- 100g chesnuts, cooked, peeled, halved
- 1 onion, chopped
- 30g butter
- 1-2 cloves of garlic
- 300g Arborio rice
- 1 litre turkey/chicken stock
- 4 tbsp fresh pesto
- 30g Parmesan cheese to serve
- Fry onion in half the butter until soft. Add the rest of the butter along with garlic cloves and cook for a minute.
- Stir in rice, then after a minute, add a quarter of the stock and stir until absorbed.
- Keep adding stock and stirring in this way until half is used up. Then add meat and chestnuts.
- Continue adding stock until rice is tender.
- Take pan off heat. Stir in pesto and season. Serve hot with Parmesan cheese.
While you’re waiting for your delicious meal to cook, why not take a look at our fantastic range of holiday cottages. We are open today from 10am until 6pm; with a dedicated team of reservations specialists who are waiting to help plan your holiday for next year!