Nothing beats a first impression right? Well we’re more than aware of the fact that the same thing goes for a holiday cottage! You want to make a good impression when the guests arrive at the property and have their very first look around, and there is nothing more important for doing this than making sure that you get everything sorted out during the changeover. Having said this, at the peak periods things can get a bit hectic and this can occasionally lead to the odd little job slipping the mind. And this is why we’ve put together a checklist of the jobs that when done will make any holiday cottage feel like a true home from home!
- Check inside the dishwasher in case any dishes have been left in there, if so put them away.
- Clean the fridge and freezer inside and out, removing any items left behind. The freezer may need defrosting and so it is worth doing this early on in the clean.
- Give the counters (including under any work-top appliances) and cupboard doors a good wipe down.
- Clean both the microwave and oven inside and out. Empty any crumbs out of the toaster.
- Vacuum and mop the floors.
- Clean and vacuum/mop the floors, make sure to do under the furniture as well.
- Give the surfaces, window sills, the TV, e.t.c. a dust.
- Remove any magazines, newspapers that might have been left behind.
- Make sure that things like fuel for fires e.t.c. are stocked up.
- Remove all of the bedding from the used beds, check the mattresses.
- Dust the surfaces and check all of the wardrobes and drawers for any personal items that might have been left behind.
- Clean all of the mirrors.
- Give the floors a good vacuum, making sure to get right under the beds and behind any furniture.
- Make all of the beds up with clean bedding.
- Vacuum and then mop the floors.
- Clean the showers, bath tubs and sinks, throwing away any soaps, shampoos, etc. left behind by guests.
- Clean the toilets thoroughly.
- Clean the mirrors.
We hope that you all find this to be a handy little resource, but you should also remember that there are plenty of little touches around the house that you can do to make your guests feel more at home. From just checking the light bulbs to replacing any dud batteries, they might not seem that important but guests will definitely notice if they’re left undone! But if you do any changeover jobs that seem to go down well and aren’t on our checklist then do let us know, either over Twitter or via Facebook and we’ll pass the tips on!