- Off road parking
- Garden / Patio
- Cot available
- Highchair available
- Pub/shop < 1 mile
- Washing machine
- Broadband / WiFi
This pretty, Grade II listed, 18th century thatched cottage is at the end of a no-through lane, on a non-working farm in the village of Clyst St Mary, three miles from the town of Topsham in South Devon. This semi-detached Clyst St Mary cottage is next door to the owners' home, and is in a convenient location, just off the main road between Exeter and Sidmouth. This Clyst St Mary cottage oozes character with beautiful exposed beams, sloping floors and a fireplace with electric woodburner-effect stove providing cosy family accommodation. But there has been no compromise on modern amenities, with a fully fitted kitchen leading off the sitting room, which has low ceilings and comfy furniture. Upstairs at this Clyst St Mary cottage are two good-sized bedrooms and a modern bathroom. This Clyst St Mary cottage has its own private enclosed garden across the former farmyard, well stocked with fruit trees, plants and a lawn - ideal for a summer BBQ. Within walking distance of your Clyst St Mary cottage is a village shop, a superb farm shop, a couple of good family pubs and the Exeter showground, plus within a five minute drive is the Exeter Chiefs' rugby stadium and Crealy Great Adventure Park. Topsham, 3 miles from this Clyst St Mary cottage, is a small town on the Exe Estuary, with many 17th and 18th century buildings, antique shops and magnificent views across the estuary. If you're after a taste of city life, Exeter has it all; theatre, art films, an historic quayside, masses of shops and plenty of eateries - all this within a 15 minute drive, or a straight forward bus journey from the bus stop situated less than a two minute walk away from this Clyst St Mary cottage. A delightful character Clyst St Mary cottage providing a convenient base to explore south Devon's coast, countryside and city life.
Two bedrooms: 1 x double, 1 x twin. Bathroom with bath, shower over, basin and WC. Fitted kitchen. Sitting room with electric woodburner-effect stove, exposed beams and dining area. Entrance hall with seating and storage.
- Central heating with electric stove in sitting room
- Electric oven and hob, microwave, fridge/freezer, washing machine, TV with Freeview, DVD, WiFi access
- All fuel and power inc. in rent
- Bed linen and towels inc. in rent
- Cot, highchair and stairgate on request
- Private parking for 1 car, parking in front of property for an additional car
- Sorry, no pets and no smoking
- Shop and pub 10 mins walk
- Note: The garden is across the former farmyard from the cottage.
- Last minute
- “Excellent Cottage”
- “My daughter and I stayed in the cottage for a week in September. We wanted something comfortable and conveinient but full of character too. The cottage was perfect for our needs, with high quality features but lots of character too.”
- “Charming cottage in the beautiful Devon”
- “We were very warmly welcomed by the owner family and found the cottage delightfully charming. It was very well and tastefully equipped with everything we needed for a carefree holiday. Its location made it an ideal starting point for exploring most beaches and sightseeing attractions in Devon and there were ample shopping facilities nearby. We appreciated the calm surroundings and the atmosphere of the cottage.”
- “Fantastic cottage in an excellent location. Friendly but unobtrusive hosts who could not do enough to make our stay as comfortable as possible.”
- “Coxes Cottage is a beautiful cottage, it is well situated for getting around Devon. We found it to be very relaxing. There is a lovely garden to sit in and the owner is very welcoming and friendly. Coxes Cottage is very clean and well maintained, we will definitely be returning to this cottage and we would recommend it to anyone.”
- “Coxes Cottage is a lovely cottage and is in an excellent location.”
- “Liked the cottage a lot, good position and pleasant garden. The owners, who lived next door, very welcoming.”
- “Friendly, helpful and informative owner, who respects your privacy but is more than willing to help when needed. Coxes Cottage has a beautiful private garden, it is a clean and spacious cottage.”
- “Coxes Cottages is a cosy and comfortable cottage very central for our holiday, with a lovely private garden.”
- “Coxes Cottage was in a central location, with easy access to a lot of seaside towns and not far from Exeter. We also had good weather which made it even more enjoyable and we were able to sit in the lovely secluded garden”
- “The cottage was very cosy and the owners were very friendly and made us very welcome. The property was nice and quiet.”
- “Was a wonderful holiday from the minute we arrived. Cottage is much prettier than the pictures and is really cosy and relaxing. The owners are really helpful and friendly. Is also, a really central base to lots of lovely places to suit most tastes. Can't wait to book again. Definitely recommend.”
- “This cottage was exceptionally clean and very welcoming. Great attention to detail. The welcome tray was a lovely touch as was the welcome and helpfulness of the owners. A lovely cottage that we would thoroughly recommend to friends and family.”
- “Great location. Lovely warm welcome from the owners who were very helpful throughout our stay. A lovely cottage which was warm, welcoming and very comfortably furnished. Great food in the pub in the village! This was our second visit and we will most certainly be returning again. Thanks, we had a great stay.”
- “Pretty and snug cottage which was well heated. Comfortable bed, fresh clean bedding and the owners were helpful. Convenient location for visiting our relatives in the area. We would strongly recommend this cottage and would stay again.”
About the location
CLYST ST MARY
Topsham 3 miles; Exmouth 7 miles; Exeter 7 miles.
Clyst St Mary is one of the six Clyst Parishes in the Valley of the River Clyst and takes its name from the church in the village. Adjacent to the church are pubs, a Post Office, local stores and a bus service that operates between Exeter, Exmouth and Sidmouth. Less than three miles away from Clyst St Mary is the popular town of Topsham. This charming town is set on the River Exe estuary and has been declared a conservation area due to the wealth of 17th and 18th century merchants' houses, many built in the Dutch style with carved gable ends. Housed in a fine 17th century building is Topsham Museum offering visitors lovely period rooms, an estuary garden, a courtyard, and a chance to read about local history that portrays Topsham’s maritime and ship building past. Topsham also boasts specialist antique shops and some stunning views over the River Exe. The river has become a haven for wildlife with extensive reed beds, salt marshes and mud banks, which attract birds from around the world, including the largest flock of avocets in the UK. There are also some fabulous walks along the banks of the river, including one from Exeter to the coast at Exmouth. A short drive from Topsham takes you to Exeter; a lively city with a magnificent cathedral, historic quayside area with artisan shops and cafes, guided tours of the maze of underground passages and a wealth of bars, shops and restaurants. Within a 15 minute drive of Clyst St Mary there are some fabulous beaches at Sidmouth and Exmouth, and the start of the 95 mile stretch of Jurassic Coast, all of which provide ample opportunities for relaxation, sport and exploration. Clyst St Mary is an ideal South Devon base due to its proximity to the city of Exeter, pretty countryside and Heritage Coast.