- Four poster bed
- Open fire
- Garden / Patio
- Pub/shop < 1 mile
Situated within the owner's garden in the pretty mid-Somerset village of Butleigh, 3 miles from mystical Glastonbury, this deliciously captivating, quirky, Grade II listed medieval hamstone cottage, one of two in the grounds, dates back to the late 16th century.
Named after a previous Victorian resident, this charming Glastonbury cottage has a fascinating history, having once been a medieval kitchen, a poor house and even a jail!
Now, however, it has been sympathetically restored to provide a peaceful, romantic Glastonbury holiday cottage retreat, retaining ancient beams, flagstone floors and exposed stone walls, as well as a stunning inglenook fireplace with bread oven and an original Victorian kitchen range.
Stairs lead up into the attractive bedroom which boasts a freestanding antique copper bath and an ornate four poster bed enveloped in rich drapes.
You'll certainly never forget your holiday at this amazing Glastonbury holiday cottage!
One four poster double bedroom with freestanding copper bath, plus en-suite basin & WC. Small kitchen with exposed stone walls. Living room with dining area & inglenook fireplace with Victorian range cooker.
- Wall-mounted electric convector heaters with wood burning Victorian range in sitting room
- Table-top electric oven, 2-ring electric hob, microwave, fridge, TV, Freeview, DVD, iPod dock, library of books & games
- Fuel, power & starter pack for Victorian range inc. in rent
- Bed linen & towels inc. in rent
- Unrestricted roadside parking close to property
- Shared small courtyard garden with furniture
- Sorry, no pets & no smoking
- Shop 5 mins walk, pub 10 mins walk
- Note: Steep cottage stairs, may be unsuitable for infirm.
- Last minute
- “Quaint retreat - idyllic romantic 5 day stay!”
- “We were very pleased to wake up on New Years Day 2014 at Betsy Cottage! We arrived on Saturday 28th after a lovely stop at Salisbury for the day (recommend the park and ride) and arrived at the doorstep of Betsy Cottage. It is the cutest little cottage and so ideal for a couple's retreat from the noise, hectic lifestyle and if you enjoy baths then the way forward is here! The owners have provided everything for you and even chocolates on arrival. They offer great local information and we even used one of the maps in the book for a 5 hour walk one day. We recommend travelling to Cheddar Gorge and also to Glastonbury Tor. We took food with us to cook every day after our afternoon bath, pj's on. If you are lucky enough to go then enjoy every minute of this cute little hideaway from the world!”
- “Charming full of character and peaceful wow!”
- “The cottage is delightful full of character and the Copper bath is excellent, very basic but perfect. Location is great with the local pub serving lovely food but watch the cider very strong nice. We certainly be returning.”
- “Lovely Character Cottage”
- “The bed and bath are certainly the best features in this cottage - absolutely beautiful. We were hoping for an open fire rather than a wood burning stove but the grand fireplace was still very nice. Unfortunately the pub was closed twice when we walked round to it and there wasn't an awful lot else in the area - but a short drive to Street gave easy access to shops and places to eat. Overall a very lovely place to spend a long romantic weekend.”
- “quaint,quirky and very relaxing”
- “absolutely loved it.an ideal cottage for a romantic break”
- “The cottage is a renovation to be proud of.”
- “The look and feel and everything about the cottage was amazing - the pictures and rating definitely don't do it justice! It was just perfect for a warm, sleepy getaway. I was surprised at how quick the bath was to fill up and there was plenty of hot water too. We planned to do some exploring - but we were so taken with the cottage and it's warmth, not to mention the selection of games that we only left for a few supplies! Thank you very much!”
- “Betsy Cottage is a beautifully restored piece of Somerset history, and it's been furnished so nicely we wanted to take half the furniture home! It is so comfortable, from the giant four poster bed to the comfy sofas by the range and the amazing copper bath. The owner was lovely and the location is ideal to see the best of Somerset. We were so very sad to leave!”
- “The cottage was amazing and the four poster bed was so lovely. The whole holiday was amazing and Somerset was so good.”
- “The Cottage is wonderful, the owners are very welcoming and hospitable. There is no WiFi or mod-cons and it is a perfect excuse (if one were needed) to 'unplug' yourself from modern life.”
- “The bath and bed are beautiful features and make the property fantastically unique.”
- “A wonderful cottage in a beautiful setting, very quiet and tranquil.”
- “The four poster bed, free standing copper bath and beautiful inglenook fireplace really made us feel like a King and Queen on our honeymoon. The owners were very thoughtful and friendly, even leaving us a bottle of bubbly to celebrate our wedding.”
About the location
Glastonbury 3 miles.
Butleigh is a charming, friendly little village, boasting a thriving local shop and pub, tucked away at the head of the Somerset Levels, an Area Of Outstanding Natural Beauty, rich in wildlife with lush green meadows, sparkling streams and scenic hills, perfect for country walks. Travelling just 3 miles takes you to mystical Glastonbury with its Abbey, Tor, Ley Lines and of course, its annual music festival! Shopaholics are well catered for at Clark's shopping outlet in nearby Street, whilst a visit to stunning Wells Cathedral is a must. Alternatively take a trip to Wookey Hole, Cheddar or the majestic city of Bath, all easily accessible. A superb base for a varied and interesting holiday.