- Off road parking
- Open fire
- Garden / Patio
- Washing machine
- Broadband / WiFi
Set in the rural East Dorset hamlet of Mannington is this scrumptious, chocolate-box, Grade ll listed cob and thatched cottage, a wing of the owner's Dorset Longhouse.
Believed to date back 500 years, and once an estate worker's cottage on the Earl of Shaftesbury's estate, the owner now runs a 7.5 acre equestrian and alpaca smallholding on-site.
The cottage simply oozes charm and character with numerous oak beams and an attractive inglenook fireplace with a cosy woodburning stove in the beamed sitting room; it's such a gorgeous place to snuggle up after a day exploring the area.
From the sitting room is a door to the terrace, and also on the ground floor is a small, fitted kitchen with stairs up to the first floor.
Upstairs in the eaves is a lovely romantic bedroom with fairy lights around the bedhead and an adjacent stylish bathroom.
Outside, on the south-facing terrace why not enjoy a glass of wine or indulge in a warm bubble bath in the roll-top bath, whilst gazing at the starlit sky?
Locally, you can walk or cycle across the nearby Holt Heath Nature Reserve or enjoy a trip to Moors Valley Country Park and there are also two lovely pubs within walking distance of your holiday property.
Also visit the market town and ancient Minster at nearby Wimborne, or alternatively, explore the New Forest National Park, the lovely sandy beaches and attractions of the friendly seaside resort of Bournemouth, Poole Harbour or Salisbury's splendid Cathedral, all easily accessible from this lovely cottage.
Treat yourself to a romantic rural Dorset escape at this gorgeous thatched cottage, a perfect holiday base at any time of the year.
Note: This property is next to Ref 935090, together they sleep 5.
One eaves double bedroom with single folding bed on request. Eaves bathroom with bath, basin and WC. Kitchen. Sitting room with dining area, sofa bed and woodburning stove.
- Electric wall-mounted panel heaters with woodburning stove
- Electric oven and hob, microwave, fridge, washing machine, TV with Freeview, DVD, iPod dock, WiFi, selection of books and games
- Power and starter pack for stove inc. in rent
- Bed linen and towels inc. in rent
- Off road parking for 2 cars
- Undercover bike storage
- Enclosed, paved private terrace with furniture and roll-top bath with hand-held shower, star lights and curtains
- Shared firepit BBQ in paddock
- One well-behaved dog welcome, to be kept on a lead at all times due to livestock nearby
- Sorry, no smoking
- Shop 1.5 miles, pub 1 mile
- Note: The steep twisting cottage stairs may not be suitable for those with limited mobility
- Note: Sloping ceilings in bedroom and bathroom
- Note: The owner has a dog, and there are horses and alpacas on-site
- Note: Babes-in-arms and children over 5 years only
- Note: The cottage is accessed via 0.2 miles of unmade track
- Note: There is a paddock with field shelter available for horses at an extra cost, please contact owner for more information
About the location
Wimborne Minster 5.5 miles; Ringwood 7 miles; New Forest National Park 9 miles; Bournemouth 16 miles.
The pretty hamlet of Mannington can be found in rural East Dorset, close to the borders of Dorset, Hampshire and Wiltshire, and only 6 miles from both Dorset’s Wimborne Minster and Hampshire’s Ringwood. Mannington is situated on the edge of Holt Heath, a designated National Nature Reserve, managed by the National Trust, and is one of Dorset’s largest areas of heathland offering plenty of marked footpaths and bridleways, making it a lovely place to walk or cycle and also provides habitats for a wide range of plants, birds and animals, including Sand Lizards and Dartford Warblers. Within a short drive you can explore Moors Valley Country Park, where you can stroll through the wooded glades, take a ride on the little railway, take part in the Go Ape hire wire activities, or just simply enjoy a cream tea! Alternatively, take a trip to the Heavy Horse Centre, visit the picturesque ancient town of Wimborne Minster with its colourful three day market, or the New Forest National Park, famous for its wild ponies, deer, pretty villages and quaint inns, as well as the National Motor Museum at Beaulieu. Whilst an easy drive south takes you to the award-winning sandy beaches, great shops, theatres and cinemas at Bournemouth. Mannington makes a super rural base from which to explore this fascinating area.
Note: Babes-in-arms and children over 5 years only.
This property offers the following short breaks:
- Last minute