- Open fire
- Garden / Patio
- Pub/shop < 1 mile
- Washing machine
- Broadband / WiFi
This delightful, semi-detached, former Sherborne Castle estate worker's cottage, dating back to 1865, is situated in the attractive Dorset village of Thornford, 3 miles from Sherborne.
The light and airy interior of this Thornford cottage has been furnished to a good standard providing an ideal base for couples and small families.
The charming sitting room of this Thornford cottage boasts flagstone floors with awarming multi-fuel stove creating a cosy social space for those cooler evenings.
The bright kitchen with dining area features an exposed stone wall, and twisting stairs to the two spacious bedrooms, both with countryside views.
An enclosed garden lies to the rear of this Dorset cottage and has a central seating area, which is a real sun trap and provides the perfect place for alfresco dining.
Thornford village has a shop, Post Office and a pub, which has been voted West Dorset's rural pub of the year.
The area surrounding this Thornford cottage boasts many scenic rural footpaths, whilst a 'halt' on the local railway line offers handy trips to Bath and Thomas Hardy's Dorchester.
Alternatively visit historic Sherborne with its castle, beautiful abbey and attractive array of shops.
A welcoming Dorset holiday cottage, in a wonderful location.
Two bedrooms: 1 x double, 1 x single with additional pull-out bed (can be made up as two singles or one super king-size double). Ground floor bathroom with bath, shower over, basin and WC. Fitted kitchen with dining area. Sitting room with multi-fuel stove.
- Electric storage heaters and underfloor heating in bathroom with multi-fuel stove in sitting room
- Electric oven and hob, microwave, fridge, washing machine, TV with Freeview, DVD, CD/radio, WiFi, selection of books and games
- Fuel, power and starter pack for multi-fuel stove inc. in rent
- Bed linen and towels inc. in rent
- Roadside parking opposite cottage
- Enclosed rear lawned garden with patio, furniture and BBQ
- Two well-behaved dogs welcome
- Sorry, no smoking
- Shop and pub 5 mins walk
- Note: Steep twisting cottage stairs may be unsuitable for the infirm and toddlers.
- Last minute
- “Lovey cosy cottage in a lovely village.”
- “We had a lovely week in this cosy pet friendly cottage. The cottage was very clean on arrival. A great enclosed garden to the rear. We liked the fact that there was so much information available for days out and dog friendly places. Great walks on your doorstep. There is a very good local pub offering good quality food.”
- “Beautiful cottage”
- “We have just come back from a week at this wonderful cottage. Everything you need for a comfortable stay. Can not fault it and a brilliant place to visit lots of places. Brilliant for the dog with the garden secure. Would love to visit in the winter to use that lovely Wood burner. We were really lucky with the weather. You will most certainly not be dissapointed if you book this cottage.”
- “Beautiful character cottage”
- “We had a lovely holiday staying in this great cottage in the quiet village of Thornford. The lounge is cosy and warm with a great fireplace. Kitchen/diner had everything we needed and bathroom is modern and smart. The bedrooms are large and well presented. The stairs are not ideal for young children but we coped fine. The cottage is near Sherborne and Yeovil and we found loads to do. Would love to return any time of year.”
- “Snug home from home feeling and could not want more from our sta”
- “Wow what a great property, well proportioned and room for all of us, our 6 month boy, our German Shepherd and everything else that comes with that, and this property catered for all of it, the cold rainy days in front of the fire and the beautiful day we had was enjoyed sitting in the enclosed garden. The little village is welcoming with the village shop and local pub that allowed us all in,dirty boots from the miles of walking included. This cottage will now be a regular in our planner to go and stay in.”
- “very relaxing time,lovely place to stay.”
- “The cottage was lovely and clean,everything you needed.Nice homemade cake when we arrived which was a lovely touch.The local pub served nice food.We found some great places to visit,with lots of information at cottage.Whether it was what other people wrote in the book,or leaflets that had been left.We would certainly go back,locals where friendly.Very homely and comfortable cottage.Would recommend it.”
- “Cosy accommodation and good secure garden for the dogs. Nice village location with easy access to the lovely Dorset countryside.”
- “Beautiful little cottage in a beautiful little village. So many walks with amazing scenery, the house was equipped for all basic needs, we'd all had a great holiday. Would definitely recommend it, thank you for a fab holiday.”
- “Bay Tree Cottage was a fantastic base to explore the local area. There is plenty to see and do. The Cottage itself was lovely, lots of character and it was perfect for what we wanted. I would definitely recommend it to others.”
- “A fantastic cottage, everything you needed to make your stay comfortable. The garden was fab for the dog, he could go out and you knew he was safe.”
- “We had a fabulous time here. The village was great and friendly, with lots of things to do with the dogs etc. The cottage was perfect for us and would highly recommend it.”
- “This was our second visit to Bay Tree Cottage, the owner as always was an excellent host.”
- “Bay Tree Cottage is lovely and in a lovely village. Good base for sight seeing and long walks. Garden enclosed and safe for our dog.”
- “The cottage was lovely and located in a beautiful village where the people were friendly. The surrounding countryside and coast provided interesting and beautiful sightseeing.”
- “Bay Tree Cottage in Longford is an ideal location as a base to explore the beautiful local countryside and walks around Sherborne. The local pub (now Kings Arms), shop and residents were all very friendly and helpful, basically you felt part of the village community. The cottage itself was well equipped and all furniture in good condition and comfortable (especially the double bed!), the internet connection was a nice bonus.”
- “The village was ideally placed to visit many places. Pub in the village was really friendly, served great food and was dog friendly. Overall a wonderful holiday.”
About the location
Sherborne 3 miles.
A most attractive north west Dorset village, Thornford is only 3 miles from the ancient town of Sherborne. Over 20 historic cottages make up the conservation area at the centre of the village, which boasts a pub, local shop and a Post Office, as well as a 'halt' on the railway line linking Weymouth with Bristol. The village is surrounded by an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, bursting with lovely rural walks, and just a short drive takes you into Sherborne, well known for its castle and abbey, and where you can browse the array of interesting shops and restaurants. Good transport links ensure that visits further afield to historic Bath, Stourhead, and Salisbury, as well as the stunning Jurassic Coast, are easily made. This really is a great touring base for visiting this lovely area.