- Off road parking
- Garden / Patio
- Cot available
- Highchair available
- Pub/shop < 1 mile
- Washing machine
- Broadband / WiFi
This charmingly presented terraced cottage is situated within a picturesque mews, among a collection of converted barns, in the hamlet of Afton, near the village of Freshwater on the Isle of Wight. Tastefully appointed throughout to provide light and contemporary accommodation, while maintaining some of its original charm, this Afton cottage is perfect for families wishing to experience the joys the countryside offers, with the additional benefit of some of the best beaches on the Isle of Wight within easy reach. Set over two floors, you will find three bedrooms, all maintaining original features, while downstairs this Freshwater cottage offers an open plan living area with a kitchen, a dining area and sitting area, which has comfortable seating for you to relax into at the end of an eventful day. To the front of this cottage near Freshwater is a large lawned communal garden area, while to the rear there is a private enclosed patio area. Afton boasts stunning bird life within its marshes and an extremely challenging links golf course, which offers striking views and breathtaking sunsets across the Channel. Just outside Afton is Tennyson Down, plus walk towards Tennyson monument while taking in the beautiful translucent seas, and continue further to take in the sheer beauty of the famous Needles. This delightful Isle of Wight cottage can be enjoyed all year round.
Three bedrooms: 1 x king-size double with TV, 1 x twin, 1 x single. Bathroom with bath, shower over, basin and WC. Open plan living area with kitchen, dining area and sitting area.
- Gas central heating
- Electric oven and hob, microwave, fridge, freezer, washing machine, dishwasher, 2 x TVs with Freeview, DVD, CD/radio, WiFi, selection of books and games
- Fuel and power inc. in rent
- Bed linen and towels inc. in rent, please bring own beach towels
- Travel cot and highchair
- (please bring own cot bedding)
- Off road parking for 2 cars
- Communal front lawned garden, plus private enclosed rear patio with furniture
- Two well-behaved dogs welcome
- Sorry, no smoking
- Shop 1 mile, pub 9 mins walk
- Beach 1 mile
- Note: Sloping ceilings in bedrooms.
- Last minute
- “A delightful cottage, we will be pleased to stay there again next time we visit the Isle of Wight.”
- “It was clean, well-equipped and in a quiet location.”
- “It was good and comfortable accommodation with all that we needed, and an excellent base from which to explore the island.”
- “The location was great, and it was a lovely little cottage, perfect for a relaxed getaway. The owners have made sure that there is plenty of local info, maps and pamphlets to assist in holiday making! The local pub is a lovely place to dine.”
- “It was quiet, relaxing and the owner was very helpful.”
- “Never been to the Isle of Wight and enjoyed looking around. Island very dog friendly.”
- “The cottage was well presented and comfortable. It was great that the garden was enclosed with a low fence, so the dogs were safe to roam. The kitchen was well stocked with crockery, plus disposables like cling film, which we really appreciated.”
About the location
Freshwater 1.4 miles; Yarmouth 3 miles.
Afton is a small hamlet located close to the village and bay of Freshwater. Freshwater village offers a good selection of small independent shops, cafes and the West Wight Sports Centre and Indoor Swimming Pool. The magnificent high chalk cliffs, rolling downs and delightful beaches at Freshwater Bay and nearby Compton Bay attract many visitors and surfers all year round. The renowned Freshwater Bay Golf Club, which overlooks the English Channel has stunning coastal views from most tees and offers a superb day out for golfers of all abilities. The area is a haven for birdwatchers, cyclists and walkers with many wonderful walks to be enjoyed across the entire Isle of Wight, criss-crossing over a much varied island landscape. The Needles Pleasure Park at Alum Bay, with its coloured sand cliffs and chairlift to the beach, is just south west of Freshwater plus a little further afield on the north coast of the Isle of Wight is the premier yachting centre of Cowes. Osborne House (the former home of Queen Victoria) is located at East Cowes. The nearby Farringford Hotel on the edge of Freshwater Bay was once the home of the British Poet Laureate Alfred Lord Tennyson, and many notable poets, authors and painters have been attracted to the area of West Wight over the years. With the seaside town of Yarmouth close by with its busy harbour and pier, shops, inns and restaurants and impressive Tudor castle, this is an ideal base for an enjoyable holiday.