- Off road parking
- Open fire
- Garden / Patio
- Cot available
- Highchair available
- Pub/shop < 1 mile
- Broadband / WiFi
Troutbeck 0.5 miles. For those looking for a Lakeland holiday with friends or family, this lovely stone-built farmhouse will be sure to impress. Set against the spectacular backdrop of Blencathra, this impressive Troutbeck cottage is on a working livestock farm just half a mile from the tiny hamlet of Troutbeck and just a ten minute drive from the shores of Ullswater. One of our premier Lake District cottages, this Troutbeck cottage offers accommodation of real character and charm, with contemporary styling combined with a more traditional atmosphere to provide a first class holiday home. This Lake District cottage features a spacious sitting room with old oak beams and a warming woodburning stove, a dining room, a snug with a woodburning stove, a modern well-equipped kitchen and four beautiful bedrooms all with delightful en-suite facilities. Outside, there is a mature garden, ideal for sitting out after a long day on the nearby fells, and not forgetting of course the local tavern, a former railway hotel, which is a short walk and welcomes visitors with cask ales and traditional bar food. With Ullswater a short drive away from this superb Lake District cottage, guests can take in the beauty of the lake by embarking on a cruise on one of the Ullswater steamers. The pretty village of Glenridding is also a popular destination, with many charming tea rooms and cafes. For the more experienced mountaineer, Helvellyn, the third highest mountain in England, is close to hand and of course, the notorious Striding Edge - not for the faint-hearted! Rheged visitor centre is also close by, which regularly holds art exhibitions and hosts special events. A twenty minute drive away is the bustling town of Keswick, situated on the shores of Derwentwater. This Troutbeck cottage is perfect to get away from it all, together!
Four bedrooms with TV: 1 x king-size double with additional single sofa bed and en-suite bath, basin and WC, 1 x king-size double with en-suite bath, basin and WC, 1 x twin (zip/link, can be super king-size double on request) with additional single sofa bed and en-suite bath, power shower over, basin and WC, 1 x twin(zip/link, can be super king-size double on request) with en-suite bath, basin and WC. Kitchen. Dining room. Snug with woodburning stove. Sitting room (seats 8) with woodburning stove.
- Oil central heating with woodburning stoves in sitting room and second dining room
- Electric oven and hob, microwave, fridge/freezer, dishwasher, 5 x TVs with Freeview, DVD, CD/radio, WiFi, selection of books, CDs, DVDs and games
- Fuel, power and starter pack for woodburning stoves inc. in rent
- Additional fuel available on honesty box basis
- Bed linen and towels inc. in rent
- Cot and highchair
- Ample off road parking
- Enclosed garden 10 yards from front door with patio and furniture
- One well-behaved pet welcome
- Sorry, no smoking
- Shop 3 miles, pub 10 mins walk
- Note: Gill Farm is a working farm, which operates a caravan and camping site on the grounds
- The cottage is some 100 yards from the edge of the caravan and camping areas
- On site there is a small shop (open Apr - Oct) from which you can get milk, bread and farm fresh eggs etc, as well as a lovely children's play area
- On-site laundry facilities (coin-operated) available if required
- Bike storage on request
- Note: Max 8 adults
- Sofa beds suitable for children only
- Note: Check-in 4pm.
Note: Max 8 adults. Sofa beds suitable for children only.
- “Homely and lots of character, great location”
- “We received a lovely welcome and we knew we could always get the owners help if needed despite being a busy farm and campsite. The home was lovely, it had lots of character and rustic yet the facilities that make it a comfortable home. We loved being in the countryside, it was quiet yet not too far from nearby towns, markets and superstores. If you love to walk and be outside you are near some of the loveliest scenery and views in the Lake District. If you like farmyard animals you have them right on your doorstep. We loved being on a working farm and near to places of interest. We found the kitchen to be quite small and it was a bit inconvenient to have to use the paid for laundry facilities for the campsite rather than having facilities in the home. This however would not put us off staying again.”
- “Excellent location and a beautiful cottage.”
- “We enjoyed absolutely everything about this holiday! The cottage is just perfect and the setting is beautiful! It has everything you could possibly need, a real home from home, and the beds are so comfy! Just loved it! It's in a great location with easy access to lots of lovely places. Couldn't fault it at all!”
- “Gill Head Farm is a beautiful cottage and the perfect spot for a larger group. The owners were friendly and helpful and the house was immaculate and full of character. We had a wonderful break and I didn't want to leave!”
- “A beautiful cottage in an excellent location, perfect for what we needed. The owner was very friendly and helpful.”
- “A beautiful cottage on a working farm. Couldn't have been better; wonderful setting and friendly owners, great all round.”
- “Gill Head Farm in general, is absolutely amazing - a beautiful and well-maintained building. The cottage is situated on a farm with views to the open countryside. It was attractive and clean and very spacious for the 7 of us. The beds were comfy and there was plenty of hot water for everyone. There was plenty of room for all of us and we never felt that we were on top of each other. In the day we visited the nearby lake and then hiked around the area, both a 15 minute drive away. The grounds of Gill Head Farm are gorgeous. We cooked for ourselves every day and the cottage was large enough that we could all sit and eat together. The owner was very welcoming and was a great host, we hope to return in the near future.”
- “A fantastic holiday property. Massive for just the two of us that stayed there but would be a great location for families who wanted to explore what the Lake District has to offer. Ideally located between Keswick and Penrith. Will definitely be returning with more people. It was also great to be on a working farm and see all the animals.”
- “A really lovely house, perfect for two families or 4 couples. There was lots of space and plenty of privacy. Cosy and warm with lots of character. Well situated.”
- “We liked the en-suite bedrooms and the spacious rooms in the cottage. There was plenty of hot water and a lovely log fire. A great place for a family get together, would definitely go again.”
- “The cottage was delightful and beautifully decorated for Christmas. The owners very helpful and thoughtful. The surrounding countryside is stunning. Log fires kept us very cosy and there was plenty of fuel. Dining and lounge facilities excellent!”
About the location
TROUTBECK NEAR PENRITH
Keswick 9 miles; Penrith 9 miles.
The small hamlet of Troutbeck sits in a secluded position in the northern Lake District between Keswick and Penrith, and just three miles from the magnificent shores of Ullswater. The hamlet is set out amongst beautiful rolling countryside and wonderful scenery and is made up of a number of farm dwellings, traditional Lakeland homes and a local inn. Nearby, the popular town of Keswick is the holiday centre of the northern Lake District and has plenty to offer, boasting numerous shops and restaurants to suit all tastes, as well as offering miniature golf, some good parks, the Theatre by the Lake, a charming cinema and the beautiful lake. Dalemain, an historic house with gardens, is also close by and every year hosts the World’s Original Marmalade Awards. With magnificent Ullswater on the doorstep, and spectacular scenery to be enjoyed down towards Glenridding and Patterdale, which travels southwards towards Ambleside over the Kirkstone Pass, Troutbeck makes a wonderful base for making the most of this beautiful region.