“Janine and Mike so welcoming in ...”Janine and Mike so welcoming in themselves, with fresh baked bread etc and generally with suggestions of outings - the children loved their suggestion for a spooky time on our last day.. Cottage lovely and perfect for us (4 adults, 2 children). Beautiful surroundings.
- Off road parking
- Open fire
- Garden / Patio
- Cot available
- Highchair available
- Pub/shop < 1 mile
- Washing machine
- Broadband / WiFi
This Grade II listed, semi-detached Allenheads cottage is attached to the owners' home and perches on a hillside in the very heart of this Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.
From this elevated position, the views from this stone-built cottage are simply stunning, as the surrounding countryside can be seen for miles, and you may even spot a red squirrel in the garden.
Cosy and well-furnished, this cottage makes an ideal base for a group of friends or a large family wishing to explore the North Pennines, one of the most peaceful and unspoilt regions in England.
Three first floor bedrooms provide a welcoming retreat after a hard day’s walking or cycling, that’s if you can drag yourself away from the cosy sitting room with enormous multi-fuel stove.
What could be nicer than taking off your boots, putting your feet up and gazing into the welcoming embers?
The well-equipped kitchen has all you need to rustle up a tasty supper and the adjoining dining room is perfect for getting together to plan the next day’s activities.
The area surrounding Allenheads is perfect for walking on the moorland, bird watching, cycling, touring, or just relaxing and enjoying the surrounding views.
The cottage is well-positioned for trips to the Killhope Mine, the High and Low Force waterfalls, historic Hexham, Hadrian's Wall and Durham city, with its magnificent cathedral.
Take a trip further afield and visit Newcastle and the Metrocentre, Bowes Museum and the Beamish Open Air Museum.
Blackett's Retreat is ideally placed for getting away from the hustle and bustle and enjoying a peaceful, relaxing break.
Three bedrooms: 1 x super king-size double (zip/link, can be twin on request) with en-suite shower, basin and WC, 1 x double, 1 x twin. Bathroom with bath, shower over, basin and WC. Kitchen. Dining room. Sitting room with multi-fuel stove.
- Partial central heating from back boiler on multi-fuel stove with night storage heaters
- Electric oven and hob, microwave, fridge, washing machine, dishwasher, TV with Freeview, DVD, CD/radio, WiFi, selection of books, games and DVDs
- Fuel, power and fuel for stove inc. in rent
- Bed linen and towels inc. in rent
- Travel cot, highchair and stairgate on request
- Off road parking for 2 cars
- Shared lawned garden with furniture
- Sorry, no pets and no smoking
- Shops 7 miles, pub and cafe 10 mins walk
- Note: The cottage is surrounded by sheep farming land and so dogs must be kept under control and on a lead at all times when outside the property, and they must be kept on the ground floor
- Note: The owner has cats and free range chickens
- Note: The access road is steep and can be bumpy, therefore not suitable for low slung cars
- Note: There are two steps up to the rear garden
- Note: The original sink to the cottage is opposite the cottage and so young children should be supervised
- Note: Owner can provide a range of complementary spa and beauty treatments
- Please contact the owner prior to arrival to book
- Note: Check-in 4pm.
About the location
Allendale Town 7 miles; Hexham 18 miles.
The village of Allenheads is situated in the heart of the North Pennines in beautiful Allendale. Allenheads is reputed to be one of the highest villages in England and stands over 1,400ft above sea level. The dale was once an important lead-mining area and there is an interesting display of former life in the village in the Allenheads Heritage Centre and blacksmiths shop. The village is surrounded by wonderful heather-clad moorland making the whole area an ideal place for walkers and lovers of country life. The award-winning Killhope Lead Mining Centre, the fascinating city of Durham, Beamish Open Air Museum, Hadrian’s Wall and the attractive market towns of Allendale Town, Alston and Hexham are all within easy driving distance.
Note: Until the 4th January 2017 this property accepts one pet. From the 4th January 2017 this property will be pet-free.