- Off road parking
- Open fire
- Garden / Patio
Appleby-in-Westmorland 4 miles. A pretty, semi-detached 400-year old cottage in the heart of the Eden Valley, in the charming village of Bolton, with both the Lake District National Park and Yorkshire Dales within 30 minutes' drive. Thoughtfully appointed throughout to provide spacious accommodation, this Appleby cottage is perfect for couples or families who wish to enjoy this picturesque area. This Appleby cottage has two bedrooms with pretty views over the village and fields, and a family bathroom. The large sitting room has a woodburning stove and wooden beams. The galley-style kitchen has an exterior door leading to a patio area and further gardens, so no matter what time of day you will always find somewhere to enjoy the peaceful location. Surrounded by rolling countryside and villages, this quiet village is perfect for walking or touring, and the historic market town of Appleby-in-Westmorland is just a 10 minute drive away. Appleby has a beautiful bridge spanning the river Eden, the setting for the traditional horse washing at the annual horse fair. Appleby also has many excellent shops and tea rooms, along with a fine castle. The Settle-Carlisle Railway line goes through the town, with steam trains running regularly. The stunning lakeside villages of Patterdale and Glenridding are also on the doorstep of this Appleby cottage, with the Ullswater Steamers cruising up the lake. With many bridleways and footpaths around this cottage near Appleby, there are plenty of opportunities for exploring mountains nearby, and enjoying the wildlife either on foot or by bicycle.
Two bedrooms: 1 x double, 1 x 4ft double. Bathroom with bath, shower over, basin and WC. Fitted kitchen. Sitting room with dining area and woodburning stove.
Electric storage heaters with woodburning stove in sitting room. Electric oven and hob, microwave, fridge, TV with Freeview. Fuel, power and starter pack for woodburning stove inc. in rent. Bed linen and towels inc. in rent. Enclosed lawned gardens and patio with furniture. Off road parking for 2 cars. One well-behaved dog welcome. Sorry, no smoking. Shops 4 miles, pub and children's play area 2 mins walk. Note: Some low beams. Note: Max. 4 people inc. infants.
- Last minute
- “Lovely cottage, beautiful views and village people very friendly. My dog really enjoyed the large garden and lovely walks.”
- “The cottage was really lovely and in a beautiful situation. It was our second stay and we plan a third visit sometime because we love it so much! We brought our border collie and she loves it there too!”
- “The cottage was very warm and comfortable - the night storage heaters plus the log burner kept the whole of the property cosy at all times of the day. The beds were extremely comfy - great nights sleep! I really liked the entrance porch which was great for dealing with wet, muddy boots and coats especially as there is a heater in there. The enclosed garden was perfect for our 5 month puppy - he loves being outside and this was a very safe area for him. Great location, great accommodation, great pub nearby. Would recommend.”
- “It was a lovely village with lots of lovely places to visit nearby. A lovely relaxing break.”
- “We loved the house and it's location as we approached it, it is in a very nice spot and a nice little village. There is easy access to other nice areas nearby and it was a nice and spacious house, the kitchen was very small but functional and the whole experience was brilliant. A very restful cottage with a nice wood burner and very comfortable beds. A very sweet little garden both front and rear with apple tree at the back and a beautiful Tulip Tree in the front garden. We were sad to go.”
- “Everything was brilliant- such a lovely village and very friendly people. We couldn't have asked for anything more. Will definitely return.”
- “We loved the cottage and the village, and are definitely planning on returning there for a week next year. It was one of the best cottages we have stayed in; really cosy, with lovely gardens and views. We LOVED it!”
- “Helpful owner who made sure we had the key details and a plentiful supply of solid fuel for the fire. Very warm and cosy, very nice quiet location but still handy for the lakes.”
About the location
Penrith 14 miles.
The historic town of Appleby-in-Westmorland lies in a loop of the River Eden and is overlooked by the Pennine range with the Lake District Fells showing on the western horizon. Set at the heart of the lush Eden Valley and steeped in history, this is one of the loveliest towns in the north of England and was originally the county town of Westmorland. Appleby is nestled between the Lakes and Yorkshire Dales, so guests can enjoy the contrasting scenery of these two national parks, plus numerous walking and cycling opportunities as well as the fantastic leisure centre in the town. The picturesque street of Boroughgate, with some interesting old buildings, is at the heart of the town and links the well-preserved Norman Castle with the fine medieval Church of St. Lawrence. Appleby is a major stop on the Settle-Carlisle Railway, which is one of the most beautiful railway journeys in Britain, and still today many of the old steam trains wend their way along this line and over the historic and awe-inspiring Ribblehead viaduct. Visit Appleby in June and experience the atmosphere of the three hundred-year old Horse Fair. With the delightful Ullswater and the magnificent Lake District within easy reach, this is an ideal holiday location.