- Off road parking
- Garden / Patio
- Cot available
- Pub/shop < 1 mile
- Washing machine
- Broadband / WiFi
This semi-detached cottage is a beautiful wing of the owners' home which has been converted from the village school in the delightful Norfolk village of Lyng.
Centrally located in Norfolk countryside, this cottage in Lyng is perfect for a small family looking to discover the area, or for a couple wanting to get away from it all.
The ground floor at this Norfolk cottage is dominated by the superb pillared sitting room, where you can relax in luxury after a day spent exploring the area.
Then ascend the magnificent spiral staircase to reach two beautifully furnished bedrooms, one with a small balcony, and a family bathroom which make up the accommodation on the first floor.
Outside is a private enclosed courtyard garden where you can plan the day's adventures over a morning cup of coffee, before strolling to the local shop to pick up supplies.
Lyng is home to a range of activities including a children's playground, a tennis court, a riding school and fishing lakes.
Have a round of golf at nearby Weston Park or spend the day dinosaur hunting at Dinosaur Adventure which is just down the road.
The area surrounding Lyng is a haven for birdwatchers, plus there are a number of National Trust properties nearby including the spectacular Jacobean Blickling Hall and Felbrigg.
Norwich is close by with its vast array of shops, bars and restaurants, or maybe spend an evening at the theatre.
A superb holiday cottage in Lyng, ideal for a relaxing break any time of the year.
Two bedrooms: 1 x double with balcony, 1 x twin. Bathroom with bath, shower over, basin and WC. Kitchen. Sitting room with dining area and coal-effect electric fire.
- Oil central heating with electric fire
- Electric oven and hob, microwave, fridge, washer/dryer, dishwasher, TV with Freeview, DVD, CD/radio, iPod dock, WiFi, selection of books, games and DVDs
- Fuel and power inc. in rent
- Bed linen and towels inc. in rent
- Travel cot
- Off road parking for 2 cars
- Enclosed private patio with furniture
- Sorry, no pets and no smoking
- Shop 2 mins walk, pub 1 min walk
Note: Building work is due to commence next door to Old School Lodge from 7th April 2015, therefore some associated noise will be heard.
- Last minute
- “Loved our stay at this cottage. Karin and Peter, the owners, greeted us upon arrival and were just wonderful right from the start. The cottage had everything you could possibly need for your stay. Absolutely delightful. We will definitely return to this cottage. We usually visit a cottage every month in the Norfolk or Suffolk area and this one will take some beating. Well done to the owners and for making visitors feel like part of the family....not forgetting Dave, of course!,,,”
- “Lovely accommodation, lovely people”
- “Having read excellent reviews of Old School Lodge, we hoped we wouldn't be disappointed - and we weren't: in fact, our expectations were exceeded. After a warm and friendly welcome from our hosts, Karen & Peter, we explored the accommodation, which is superb, comfortable and beautifully decorated. Karen & Peter have worked hard to make sure everything you could possibly need is available. The welcome pack of groceries, wine and chocolate was very generous. We enjoyed having our breakfast in the enclosed garden. The Fox pub is only about 200 m away and provides excellent food, and there is plenty to do in the surrounding area. This was easily the best self-catering accommodation that we have visited, and I'm sure we'll be back soon!”
- “All you need and more”
- “What a delight. Karen and Peter made us feel very welcome. The lodge has all you need and more. Central to all the places we wanted to visit and some, Peter recommended some nice areas. Could not fault the holiday at all. Will miss being greeted by Dave the dog. Charming cottage, charming owners, what more do you need.”
- “By the book - and then some!”
- “Old school Lodge is an immaculately clean and beautifully presented cottage, comprising part of an old victorian school building. The owners, Karen and Peter, believe in making everything better than good - from the complimentary breakfast pack (cereals, tea, coffee, sugar, milk, bread and butter) to the extra touches that make it so special - chocolates and wine! A friendly greeting on arrival and the offer of any help and advice from the useful information pack to...well, just about anything, I guess - and a friendly goodbye at the end. You just cannot get better than this and I would heartily recommend Old School Lodge to anyone and intend to go back again sometime in the near future!”
- “By the book - and then some!”
- “Old school Lodge is an immaculately clean and beautifully presented cottage, comprising part of an old victorian school building. The owners, Karen and Peter, believe in making everything better than good - from the complimentary breakfast pack (cereals, tea, coffee, sugar, milk, bread and butter) to the extra touches that make it so special - chocolates and wine! A friendly greeting on arrival and the offer of any help and advice from the useful information pack to......well, just about anything, I guess - and a friendly goodbye at the end. You just cannot get better than this and I would heartily recommend Old School Lodge to anyone and intend to go back again sometime in the near future!”
- “Comfortable and quiet with great owners”
- “This self catering 'cottage' is a private part of Karen and Peter Bartman's characterful house, with its own courtyard, complete with bird table and bird food. Although the house is not full of ritzy details, the care with which everything has been thought through makes it a lovely base. The 'welcome pack' was incredibly generous. Karen and Peter are good fun, very friendly while being at pains not to be obtrusive. Lovely comfortable beds. My only problem was lack of a mobile signal, though Karen thought Vodaphone should work.”
- “A lovely spotlessly clean and comfortable property. Nice and quiet and peaceful with delightful owners. The property is situated in a nice village with easy access.”
- “Lovely, comfortable accommodation. The warm welcome we received from the owners, who lived next door, was very friendly and helpful (but not intrusive). The location allowed us to explore the area in all directions on foot, and by car.”
- “This was one of the best equipped little homes we have ever stayed in - I almost regretted having bothered to pack anything at all! So many thoughtful, added extras to make our stay more comfortable. It was perfectly located for visiting many attractions in the area and within walking distance of the excellent local pub. The owners are a lovely couple- we felt we could have knocked on their door at any time if we had to. A lovely part of the country to visit.”
- “It was a pleasure to return after the day out to relax in a very comfortable home and our hosts were very friendly and helpful.”
- “We loved the cottage and it's location. The hosts could not do enough to make our stay memorable. In all the cottages we visited, they deserve the hosts of the year. A wonderful break and a lovely cottage.”
- “We were made to feel very welcome by the owners and there was plenty of literature regarding local pubs, restaurants, places of interest etc. Nothing was too much trouble. We were impressed with the number of good quality, wooden coat hangers.”
- “Everything was great: this is easily the best self-catered cottage we have ever enjoyed. The main thing, apart from the general excellence of the accommodation, that made all the difference was the very friendly welcome given by the owners and their very thoughtful additions to the normal arrangements. It was also good that there was a very good pub about 250 metres down the road which served excellent food.”
- “We felt welcome from the moment we arrived.The accommodation was absolutely fabulous with so much attention to detail in every room; very comfortable accommodation. We will definitely be going back again. Highly recommended.”
- “The cottage was a perfect home from home. The charm of the cottage is something you have to see to believe. The local pub, The Fox, has wonderful food and numerous real ales for the proper beer drinkers among us.”
About the location
Bawdeswell 3 miles; Dereham 7 miles; Norwich 11 miles.
Lyng is a peaceful village just eleven miles north of Norwich in the heart of pretty Norfolk countryside. Lyng is home to a shop, garage, church and a lovely pub. It also features riding stables, a children’s playground, astroturf tennis courts, fishing lakes and Sparham Pools, a haven for wildlife. On the outskirts of the village is Weston Park Golf Club, a former manor house, where you can indulge in a round or two, or have lunch in the restaurant. All age groups will love Dinosaur Adventure, just a couple of miles away, where you can hunt for dinosaurs and meet the animals in the Secret Animal Garden. Norfolk is home to many National Trust properties including Felbrigg Hall and Blickling Hall, or you can drive up to the royal estate at Sandringham. The historic cathedral city of Norwich is close by where you can spend the day at the shops before taking in a show at night. A superb holiday location, all year round.