- Open fire
- Cot available
- Highchair available
- Pub/shop < 1 mile
- Washing machine
A pretty, traditional red brick cottage attached to the owner's property in the rural village of Flaxton, 8 miles north of York. This delightful Flaxton cottage has been lovingly restored, and provides beautiful accommodation for guests wishing to explore York and the North York Moors. Bursting with charm and character, this Flaxton cottage has beamed ceilings including one dated 1780, boarded doors and original wood panelling. The cosy sitting room, overlooking open fields, offers a warming open fire in a feature fireplace, ideal for relaxing by in winter months, whilst the stylish kitchen and bathroom provide a more contemporary feel. Cottage stairs lead up to two delightful bedrooms, both with views over the countryside. A short stroll from this Flaxton cottage brings you to the charming village inn, in this sleepy linear village with wide grassed verges. This Flaxton cottage is within easy reach of the pretty market towns of Malton and Helmsley and the east coast seaside resorts of Scarborough and Whitby. The stately home of Castle Howard (from Brideshead Revisited) and Rievaulx Abbey are well worth visiting, as is, of course, the historic city of York, which is only 20 minutes' drive away. This Flaxton cottage provides a perfect touring base all year round.
Over three floors. Two bedrooms: 1 x double, 1 x 2nd floor twin (zip/link - can be super king-size double on request). Bathroom with bath, shower over, basin and WC. Fitted kitchen with dining area. Sitting room with open fire.
Electric central heating with open fire in sitting room. Electric oven and hob, microwave, fridge, freezer, washing machine, TV with Freeview, DVD, radio, selection of books, games and DVDs. Fuel, power and starter pack for open fire inc. in rent. Bed linen and towels inc. in rent. Travel cot and highchair available. Roadside parking outside cottage. One well-behaved dog welcome. Sorry, no smoking. Shop 2 miles, pub 2 mins walk.
- “Lovely Village”
- “Ivy Cottage is in a lovely village setting, great pity there is no access to outside space/garden especially when weather was very warm, with dog also would have been useful!! Cottage was rather dusty needing a clean around windows and fireplace. Windows downstairs don't open which made it very hot. Keep boost button going to enable hot water as runs out very quickly!! Very annoying. Fish & Chip van calls in Car Park across the road (where you have to park) on Thursday 7.00 to 7.20 pm well recommended.”
- “Cosy cottage”
- “We stayed in Ivy Cottage for 3 nights at the end of August 2013. The cottage is small but cosy, with a kitchen/breakfast room and lounge on the ground floor, double bedroom and bathroom on the 1st floor and twin room in the loft. The owners were friendly and helpful with key collection and also left a delicious homemade lemon cake waiting for us in the kitchen - very nice touch. The cottage was very clean and in good condition with all the expected items in the kitchen. The owners provided a good quality Mamas & Papas travel cot for our youngest son as well as a high chair. The only things that could have been improved would be the addition of wifi and slightly less temperamental hot water.”
- “Quaint and comfortable!”
- “We enjoyed our stay at Ivy Cottage immensely. The cottage was well appointed and perfectly located for day trips into York, the North York dales. Although not large, the cottage accommodated two couples very comfortably. A little jewel in Flaxton.”
- “We were made to feel extremely welcome. A very well equipped and comfortable cottage in a superb location for exploring York and the local area.”
- “A really snug Christmas in a beautifully renovated cottage.”
- “This was truly a wonderful place to stay! We only wished we could have stayed longer. A great location, great property and a very friendly village just outside of York. We WILL be coming again!”
- “The cottage was very comfortable and you could imagine living in it as it was, a home from home. The cake and tea and coffee making materials were a lovely surprise.”
- “Great cosy cottage in Flaxton and very quiet. Enough space for 4 people and bedrooms were nice and spacious. Ideal as a base for visiting York and surroundings. We had a very relaxing time and will definitely be back.”
- “Fantastic little gem of a cottage, kept in excellent condition, good location for exploring surrounding area and near a lovely country pub serving great food. What more could you ask for?”
- “Ideally situated for touring the area Excellent pub with good food nearby”
- “Fantastic little cottage, will definitely go back! The owners went out of their way to accommodate us when we arrived late.”
About the location
York 8 miles.
The rural linear village of Flaxton lies 8 miles to the north east of the historic city of York. Traditional village houses line the main street with wide grass verges, and an old country inn is the focal point of the community. Surrounded by open countryside, Flaxton is close to the Howardian Hills and their Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. Flaxton is 6 miles from Castle Howard, made famous by the filming of Brideshead Revisited, and has stunning grounds, garden centre and up-market tea room and farm shop. Take the Park and Ride into York to explore The Jorvik Viking Centre, National Railway Museum, York Minster or walk the walls and ancient cobbled streets. York offers two good theatres, cinemas and excellent restaurants and shops. The east coast resorts of Scarborough and Whitby are within easy reach of Flaxton - as are the stunning North York Moors.