- Off road parking
- Ground floor accommodation
- Ground floor bedroom
- Garden / Patio
- Cot available
- Highchair available
- Pub/shop < 1 mile
- Washing machine
This railway carriage is a great alternative to traditional Robin Hood's Bay cottages, and is ideal for families, walkers and cyclists.
With sandy beaches, extensive recreational trails, excellent amenities and beautiful countryside on the doorstep, this is truly unique Robin Hood's Bay cottage accommodation!
A wonderful place for year-round relaxation, this great alternative to Robin Hood's Bay cottages is situated at the former Hawsker village station, and offers superbly appointed accommodation with Robin Hood's Bay cottage individuality, including a master en-suite double, separate sitting room and a lovely galley-style kitchen with breakfast bar.
Original features like sliding windows and first class railway seats seamlessly combine with spectacular views across the beautiful rolling countryside of the Yorkshire Moors.
Whilst now static on the old Whitby to Scarborough route, it's easy to imagine travelling along in style in this mark 3 ex-restaurant carriage.
All ground floor. Three bedrooms: 1 x master double with en-suite shower, basin & WC, & single 2'6" chair bed, 1 x double (cabin style, access from one side only), 1 x 2' 6" bunk beds (cabin style). Shower room with shower, basin & WC. Fitted kitchen with breakfast bar. Sitting room with traditional, first class railway carriage seats. Note: This cottage is accessed via entrance steps.
- Gas central heating with cooler air circulation option
- Electric combi convection oven/microwave, gas hob, fridge, freezer, washing machine & tumble dryer (in separate utility, by arrangement with owner, at a small charge), TV with Freeview, DVD, radio/CD
- Fuel & power inc. in rent
- Bed linen & towels inc. in rent
- Travel cot & highchair on request
- Off road parking for 4 cars
- Cycle & motorbike storage
- Bike hire from Trailways at reduced rates
- On-site tea room
- Enclosed lawned area with furniture
- Sorry, no pets & no smoking
- Shop 1.5 miles, pub 5 mins walk
- Note: This owner requires a refundable Good Housekeeping bond of £150.
- “Great time”
- “Had a wonderful time here. Myself, daughter and 3 children.. Facilities were excellent. The owner was a very accommodating host. The location is excellent for visiting Whitby and Robin Hoods Bay. Several good eating places nearby. On site cycle hire, which was very popular, with a cycle path which runs from Whitby to Scarbrough 17 miles. Sainburys supermarket half mile down the road for everyday essentials. Our highlight was a trip on North yorks Moors steam railway. Grosmont to Pickering £44 return for 2 adults and up to 4 children. We shall return!!”
- “A unique, brilliant experience”
- “A last-minute idea for New Year and it couldn't have worked out better, Every effort made to ensure our comfort, and we especially appreciated the fine kitchen and shower facilities - most unexpected in a railway carriage! Really conveniently located for both Whitby and Robin Hood Bay, and the cycle hire was just brilliant. Guess as train nuts we may be a little biased, but this really was an amazing place to stay - even in wintry January! If you are staying in the winter months, though, I would recommend furry footwear, as shoes are (quite reasonably) not allowed on the nice carpet, and though the place itself is plenty warm enough, the floor does get cold. Otherwise, just perfect - thanks for a wonderful time!”
- “Excellent location and most enjoyale”
- “A one off experience. we were made to feel at home and every effort was made to make our stay enjoyable.”
- “A really fantastic and very different holiday!!”
- “Keith welcomed us as we arrived and he and another young man helped us with all our bags across to the carriage. Keith also showed us how everything worked. We had a very relaxing time with our two young grandchildren. It was great being able to leave the door open so they could go down the steps to the garden area. The facilities in the carriage were great - two loos and two showers. Very comfortable beds too. We just chilled out - using the cafe next door a few times. We were very impressed with Keith - nothing was too much trouble. We plan to go back next year with the grandkids again!!”
- “An excellent location, the facilities were great, and it was lovely and clean. The Carriage has been done to an excellent standard. The beds were comfy, the towels were nice and there was plenty of crockery. It was a holiday with a difference, would definitely recommend.”
- “The Converted Railway Carriage exceeded all our expectations. It is a unique experience set in the most beautiful surroundings and we will definitely be booking again.”
- “The property was in an ideal location and being a converted railway carriage meant that it gave an exciting twist to our holiday. The rooms were wonderful and clean, the amenities all excellent. Cycle hire, from another part of the train station, was given at a substantial reduction. The host made us feel very welcome from the moment we arrived. I cannot recommend this property highly enough. Thank you to the owner, from all the family, for making our holiday so wonderful.”
- “We are train fans, so for us, this property was ideal! The owner goes out of his way to ensure you are comfortable and have everything you need. The opportunity to hire bikes on site is real plus as you are right next to a cinder track.”
- “A lovely friendly welcome and tour of the railway carriage including how to use various items such as heating/air conditioning and combi oven. Everything we needed was included in the price. Lovely setting.”
- “Very peaceful location and surrounding views were panoramic. Made to feel very welcome by the owner, nothing was too much trouble.”
- “Really nice accommodation, beautiful location and an excellent cycling trail. Loved it and would go again.”
- “The Owner was very welcoming and helpful with recommendations of local places to go throughout our stay. The Carriage was better than we expected, really spacious and comfortable. We had a fabulous week despite the bad weather and would highly recommend this accommodation to others.”
About the location
Whitby 2.5 miles; Robin Hood's Bay 2.5 miles; Scarborough 17 miles.
The small village of Hawsker is situated half way between Whitby and Robin Hood’s Bay, just two and a half miles from each, an ideal location from which to explore the area. The surrounding cottages and farms make up this pleasant village, with a local pub serving food, a tearoom, a village hall, primary school and children's playground. Close to the Cleveland Way and the former railway line, Hawsker provides a great base for walkers and cyclists. The superb coastline in this beautiful part of Yorkshire, and the spectacular North York Moors are well worth exploring, as is the ancient fishing port of Whitby. With its winding streets and hidden alleys, Whitby is a charming atmospheric town with a picturesque harbour, long, sandy beaches and the famous Abbey, reached by the 199 steps! Taste the freshly caught fish and chips, take a trip on a local boat or browse the individual shops. A fantastic location for exploring, Hawsker is ideal all year round.