- Off road parking
- Open fire
- Garden / Patio
- Washing machine
- Broadband / WiFi
Danby 2 miles.
A pretty, semi-detached stone barn conversion, situated on the owner's smallholding in the small hamlet of Houlsyke two miles from Danby.
With spectacular views over stunning countryside, this Danby cottage provides a wonderful romantic retreat for couples wanting peace and tranquillity within easy reach of the seaside town of Whitby.
Very welcoming, this Danby cottage exudes warmth and character, with exposed timbers, stripped floorboards and sloping ceilings in the bedroom.
The cosy, open plan sitting area boasts a warming woodburner to snuggle around on cooler evenings.
Nicely furnished and decorated, this Danby cottage provides very comfortable accommodation in a beautiful setting.
With a wonderful network of footpaths straight from the door, this Danby cottage is a walker's paradise, whilst for the less energetic, the location is ideal for exploring the North York Moors by car.
The Danby Moors Centre lies two miles away and is well worth a visit, with its interesting exhibitions and displays, complete with tea room, whilst the coastal fishing village of Staithes is just ten miles away, with its cobbled streets and cottages tumbling down towards the sea.
Within half an hour is the historic port of Whitby, with long sandy beaches, famous abbey and atmospheric harbour.
With both the scenery and the coast to explore, this Danby cottage provides an ideal base.
Note: This property adjoins Ref: 1235, together they sleep 8.
One double bedroom with low sloping ceilings. Ground floor shower room with shower, basin and WC. Open plan living area with fitted kitchen, dining area and sitting area with woodburner.
- Central heating with woodburner
- Electric oven and hob, fridge, use of owner's washing machine, tumble dryer and freezer in outside utility room, 2 x TVs with Freeview, DVD, video, WiFi
- Fuel, power and starter pack for woodburner inc. in rent
- Bed linen and towels inc. in rent
- Off road parking for one car
- Access to acre of land with pretty garden surrounded by open countryside, moors and footpaths
- One well-behaved dog welcome at £20
- Sorry, no smoking
- Shop and pub 2 miles
- Note: This property is on a smallholding and is accessed via an unmade farm track.
- Last minute
- “Perfect Spot!”
- “Wonderful and relaxing stay. We found the cottage to be very clean, great cooker/oven (must have now been replaced since last reviews). The owner is very firendly and accommodating. Great views all around the valley and excellent pub down the road in Lealholm. Will definitely be staying here again.”
- “Picturesque View and Lovely Cottage”
- “We were looking for a cottage near River Esk. Over looking the Esk Valley, the location of this cottage is a pleasant surprise. Sarah was very friendly and helpful. My son was very excited to see so many animals. It is an ideal place for hiking, painting and photography. The food in nearby pubs, such as the Board Inn in Lealholm, was excellent. Overall, we enjoyed everyday while staying there.”
- “Quiet place to relax in the middle of the moor”
- “Small, cozy cottage surrounded by chickens, horses and dogs. Definitely no street noise - a place to relax. Located in the middle of the moor with a short distance to the places of interest. Very good hiking opportunities. Very friendly landlady. We really enjoyed it and hope to be back as soon as possible.”
- “Perfect place to relax”
- “Just back from a nice week here. The cottage is perfect for a couple, it had everything we needed. The best part was opening the door into the yard and having horses in the fields, chickens wandering about and a very friendly cat and dog too :) The owner is very nice and laid back which suited us perfect. No hassles. We were able to store our bikes and wash them without any problems, which is a big plus for us. It's situated almost on the moors and is easily accessed from a few different directions. If you want to get away from your usual daily life and chill, this just might be the place for you :) We will be back.”
- “very friendly owner and outstanding views quite relaxing location and would re book this cottage again it was clean and tidy”
- “An ideal 'get away from it all' break!”
- “Daffodil Cottage is a converted barn situated on the North Yorks Moors. It has been beautifully converted into an idyllic and cosy home from home. Access is via an unmade farm track after a climb up a very steep country road although that should not in any way deter any visitor!! The cottage itself is ample for two, the bathroom is ideal with a shower and there are plenty of pots and pans,crockery and cutlery. The bedroom is lovely althogh I have 2 say between us we were a tad bemused at the identical lamps inside - we could not get them to switch on for toffee!!! The area is beautiful - there are lots of little villages nearby with things to do or see - the Moors Centre in Danby, Goathland where Heartbeat was filmed and Rydale Folk Museum in Hutton - le -Hole to mention but a few. A few miles in either direction takes you to Whitby, famous home of Dracula and in the other direction to the market town of Guisborough although York with its attractions are not too far a drive away! We had every day company from the friendly resident anilmals, cats, dog and open the door and you're face to face with horses in the stable!!! It was a bonus to be able to use the washing and druing facilities of the owner at any time, there were plenty of muddy clothes!! To just be able to pull on your boots, leave the cottage and be in such surroundings is truly inspiring. Although I live not too far away my partner is from Norfolk and was stunned by the surroundings and what the North has to offer. We had such a relaxing, quiet break - it was all we asked for and so much more and we will definately go back for further visits.”
- “Cozy cottage, beautiful views”
- “OK we should have read the details more carefully so we were surprised that towels wee not included - unusual in this day and age. The oven was a bit of a mystery too as the temperature scales had worn off and the door doesn't close properly which made cooking a little hit and miss. Other than these things the cottage was cozy and the views from outside the door outstanding. The cottage is out of the village and very quiet with some lovely walking straight from the front door.”
- “Nice secluded little cottage in moorland countryside”
- “This is a nice little cottage. It is not exactly spacious downstairs but quite adequate for two people, assumin gyou'll be going out most days. The bedroom is nice and spacious. Pity about the bathroom being downstairs (especially in the middle of the night!). It is equipped very well and I had no problems. Location wise it is excellent, you are not far from many moorland places. There is Whitby and the coast, Robin Hood's Bay, North Yorks Railway, etc. or just stay local and enjoy the countryside. Shopping is sparse locally, but Guisboreough and Whitby aren't too far away, so just stock up. Be careful of the lane approaching the cottage, it is rough and single track. So, overall a nice little cottage and if you want to get away to the country, rather than have lots of bars and clubs etc. this will suit you nicely. Oh yes, there's a friendly cat who will visit you as well!”
- “Daffodil Cottage was lovely, very homely, cosy and quiet which was perfect for a week away. The log fire was especially lovely. It was within easy driving distance of Whitby and there were numerous nice walks basically on the doorstep.”
- “We loved every bit of this spot! The cottage was perfectly rustic with stone walls, wood beams and beautiful pine floors throughout. Every window revealed the most spectacular scenery, and walking paths were truly right outside the front door. It was only a ten-fifteen minute drive to the beaches. Couldn't have asked for a more inspiring location!”
- “Tastefully converted barn. Spacious accommodation. Terrific location, excellent information/guidance folder available. Welcome and guidance/information by owner excellent.”
- “This place is gorgeous! Totally remote and beautiful; the perfect romantic hideaway. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay.”
- “This cottage really felt like a home from home. Everything you could possibly want was there & the land-lady was really helpful and knowledgeable about the local area. We didn't want to leave.”
- “Daffodil Cottage is a lovely, cosy cottage set in beautiful surroundings. The owner is friendly and helpful and the local area is fantastic to explore with countless different options for walks within a short drive. On bad weather days curling up in the cottage with the log burner and a cake from the local bakery in Danby is a perfect way to spend the day!”
- “We had a lovely relaxing winter's break here. The area was still snow covered when we arrived and we were worried in case the cottage wasn't warm enough, but it was so snug and cosy even before we got the log burner going. The owner was lovely - she kept in communication with us during the journey up and offered to help us with our stuff on arrival. Our little toddler loved seeing the horses, chickens and Ted the dog every day. The cottage had all the cutlery and cooking equipment to enable us to mostly self-cater. The cottage itself is lovely, comfortable and romantic, and the location is wonderful - loads to do within a short drives distance, but remote enough to feel a million miles from anywhere with beautiful views in every direction. It was a pleasure to go back there, light the fire and relax after a day of being out and about. We only stayed three nights and visited Whitby and Staithes, we'd love to go back and do some more walking in the area, make it over to Scarborough, Robin Hood's bay and ride on the steam train.”
- “Never tire of the outstanding views from cottage and surrounding areas. Owner was most kind and friendly and the sleeping area was excellent.”
- “We had an amazing stay at Daffodil Cottage, we can't recommend it enough. It's up a little lane and along a farm track, very easy to get to. The Cottage it's self is quirky and perfect for 2, we could not fault our stay. We loved the chickens running about as well as the super cute and friendly pet dog. The owner is lovely, very welcoming indeed. Its the Perfect base to go exploring as well as a perfect place to stay for a cosy night in with the log burner on! You really need to stay to appreciate the area, the views and the experience of staying in this lovely cottage.”
About the location
Staithes 10 miles; Whitby 15 miles; Guisborough 10 miles.
The village of Danby nestles in the beautiful and peaceful Esk Valley in the heart of The North York Moors. The village has two pubs (both serving food), a bakery and tearooms. There is also an excellent National Park Visitor Centre at Danby Lodge – an historic building set in 13 acres of riverside pasture, with facilities which include exhibitions, nature trails and tea rooms. Danby also boasts the ruins of a 14th century castle and the only remaining working water mill on the River Esk. The scenic Esk Valley Railway line runs through the village on its way to Whitby. The quaint moorland villages of Hutton-le-Hole and Lastingham, the market town of Pickering, the City of York and the Yorkshire Coast villages of Staithes, Saltburn and Robin Hood’s Bay are all within easy touring distance.