- Off road parking
- Open fire
- Garden / Patio
- Cot available
- Highchair available
- Pub/shop < 1 mile
- Washing machine
- Sky TV
- Broadband / WiFi
Four superb, stone-built holiday cottages, located on the edge of the village of Sleights, 3 miles from the old fishing port of Whitby. Beautifully appointed, these Sleights cottages offer wonderful accommodation, with open plan living areas with woodburners and glorious views over the stunning countryside of the Esk Valley in the North York Moors National Park. Each of these Sleights cottages has been lovingly styled and furnished, providing luxurious living, with numerous extras such as bath robes, toiletries, slippers, picnic baskets, and even pairs of wellies for the occasional wet day! With underfloor heating downstairs, ceiling surround speakers, iPod docks and internet access, these Sleights cottages boast excellent facilities. Outside, the cottages have private balconies or patios, the ideal spot to soak up the sun whilst enjoying the stunning scenery. Each of the larger Sleights cottages can interlink with the studio let, providing accommodation for 8 people. A short walk brings you to the village centre, with a renowned butcher, local baker's, a village store and fish and chip restaurant. With the local, traditional inn serving food, this is a great location for both families and couples. Explore Whitby with its quaint, cobbled streets and long, sandy beaches, or take a step back in time on the famous steam railway at Grosmont. A wonderful group of Sleights cottages with a wealth of activities all year round.
Offering luxurious accommodation, this Sleights cottage boasts an open plan living area with cosy woodburner, three individually styled bedrooms and all modern comforts such as underfloor heating downstairs, a freestanding bath in the top bedroom and comfortable, quality furnishings. Note: This Sleights cottage can interlink with Ref. 7317 via a staircase and together they can accommodate 8 people. Note: This cottage is next to Refs. 7314, 7316 and 7317 and together they accommodate 16 people.
Over three floors. Three bedrooms: 1 x double, 1 x twin, 1 x second floor double with en-suite freestanding bath, shower, basin and WC. Shower room with shower, basin and WC. Ground floor cloakroom with basin and WC. Open plan living area with fitted kitchen, dining area and sitting area with woodburner.
- Gas central heating with underfloor heating downstairs and woodburner in sitting area
- Electric oven, gas hob, microwave, fridge/freezer, washing machine, dishwasher, TV with Sky, DVD, radio, iPod dock, WiFi
- Fuel, power and starter pack for woodburner inc. in rent
- Bed linen and towels inc. in rent
- Cot and highchair on request
- Off road parking for 2 cars
- Enclosed balcony/patio to rear with garden furniture and BBQ
- Sorry, no pets and no smoking
- Shop 10 mins walk, pub 5 mins walk
- Note: This owner collects a refundable £100 Good Housekeeping bond
- Note: Check-in time 4pm.
- Last minute
- “Ewelands House is clean, well decorated and extremely well equipped with just about everything you need, with superb views across the Esk Valley from the terrace at the rear. There is a farm next door, whose cows inhabit the field adjacent to the house, and the North Yorkshire Moors Railway runs in the valley beyond. It is well-placed to explore the coast and the moors. There are one or two problems which need to be addressed, though. The floodlight at the front of the house shines straight into the front bedroom on the first floor, and the venetian blind is inadequate to keep the light out (there are no curtains). The Wi-Fi was unusable in the evenings when we were there. Whether this is due to the two available connections being shared by the five cottages or if it's a village-wide problem I can't say. However, on the whole, I would thoroughly recommend Ewelands House.”
- “Second stay and impressed again”
- “Unique Retreats look after this property, and it is a quality property from head to toe. Last year we stayed in the Ewelands Retreat which is a two person rental at the same location and this was superbly presented. This year we stayed in the bigger Ewelands House and this again has been fitted out to an excellent standard & I can't see that you could be short of anything you'd need on a self catering get away. The kitchen is well stocked with everything you could need, there is Sky TV, wireless internet connection, 3 bedrooms (2 with double beds & 1 with twin beds), great quality bathrooms, one with a shower only, but the top floor (there are 3 floors altogether) has a shower and a lovely deep (although smallish) bath. There is a welcome basket of goodies when you arrive & it is superbly located just on the edge of the small village of Sleights, which is only about 3 miles from Whitby and the lovely coastline. There is plenty of walking all around the area, whether that be on moorland & fields, coastline or beaches (Sandsend to Whitby being a couple of miles walk all along the beach, dependent upon the tides I think). The information folder that Joe & Geoff Ellis have provided in the property (and I think there is one in each of the properties) is of great quality and they have obviously spent time on crafting a fantastically useful & informative document to help you enjoy your stay to the maximum. Would I recommend to a friend - most definitely, will we go again - most definitely. Great property, great location, lovely part of the world which provides an ideal place to unwind and relax as you explore the local area and gorgeous countryside. There is a local fish and chip shop which is in walking distance (if your energetic enough) or which you can drive to in the village (if I remember rightly in the evening it is only open from 5pm to 7pm) & there is also a local pub The Plough which also offers good food. The property also has a large private patio / balcony which looks down into the valley below.”
- “Loveley Location”
- “Excellent standard of accomodation-very homely and welcoming.Views from the balcony a wonderful suprise. Peaceful location with shops nearby and pub.”
- “A great location, and superb accommodation with every possibility catered for.”
- “Wonderful property with everything you need to hand. Underfloor heating was a great bonus. Will be returning for another visit.”
- “A lovely well-equipped cottage well placed to enjoy the North Yorkshire Moors and Coast.”
About the location
Whitby 4 miles.
Sleights is ideal for both a coastal and country holiday. Just 4 miles from the picturesque Yorkshire coastline, it is also on the edge of dramatic moors country, littered with attractive villages and scenery. Though quiet, Sleights boasts two pubs, a fish and chip shop, an antique shop (with cafe), a butcher's, a bakery, a hairdressers and a Post Office. The North Yorkshire Steam Railway terminus is a few minutes’ drive, together with regular public transport to and from the nearby port of Whitby. Whitby lies at the mouth of the River Esk and is ideally situated for exploring this beautiful part of Yorkshire. It is an atmospheric town of winding streets and hidden alleys, with a picturesque harbour, safe sandy beaches and, of course, the abbey, reached by the famous 199 steps.