- Ground floor bedroom
- Garden / Patio
- Highchair available
- Pub/shop < 1 mile
- Washing machine
An attractive, detached Grade II listed property, centrally located in the historic fishing village of Staithes, ten miles north of Whitby. Formerly the old Methodist school rooms, this spacious Staithes cottage provides excellent accommodation for family groups and friends wanting to enjoy time together on the beautiful Heritage Coast. With a slightly quirky layout, the main entrance of this Staithes cottage is on the first floor, but there is access from the ground floor, which leads into the second sitting room, with a bedroom and en-suite leading off, making it ideal for the less mobile or for two people wanting a little more privacy. The well-equipped kitchen of this cottage in Staithes offers a sociable dining area and the roomy sitting room retains the original sash windows and exposed centre beam. Comfortably furnished in a traditional style, this Staithes cottage is just a couple of minutes' walk to local inns, shops, beach and quaint cobbled, narrow streets and secret alleys, which are steeped in history, or take a bracing cliff top walk on the Cleveland Way. The bustling seaside town of Whitby is close by with its long sandy beaches, bars and restaurants and 199 steps leading up to the famous abbey, whilst the surrounding, stunning countryside of the North York Moors is not to be missed. Why not step back in time and take a ride on the steam railway from Grosmont, which takes you through the dramatic, heather clad-moors to the market town of Pickering, which has a rich array of tea rooms and shops, a weekly market and a castle to visit? With the many attractions in the area, this Staithes cottage is perfect for everyone in your party.
Over three floors. Four bedrooms: 1 x ground floor twin with en-suite shower, basin and WC, 1 x first floor super king-size double (zip/link, can be twin on request), 1 x second floor king-size double, 1 x second floor twin. First floor bathroom with bath, shower over, basin and WC. First floor kitchen with breakfast bar and comfy seating. First floor dining room with comfy seating. First floor sitting room with electric fire. Ground floor sitting room with kitchenette.
Oil central heating with electric storage heater and electric fire. Electric oven and hob, microwave, fridge, freezer, washing machine, dishwasher, 2 x TVs with Freeview, DVD, CD/radio, selection of books, games and DVDs. Fuel and power inc. in rent. Bed linen and towels inc. in rent. Travel cot, bed guard and highchair. Permits for 2 cars provided in car park at top of bank 2 mins walk uphill, loading/unloading outside property. Small yard. Outdoor furniture at front. Sorry, no pets and no smoking. Shop 10 mins walk, pub and beach 2 mins walk. Note: There are approx. 12 steps up to first floor entrance door and 3 shallow steps up to ground floor entrance. Note: Mobile phone coverage is poor in Staithes. Note: Ground floor kitchenette contains a sink, fridge and tea and coffee making facilities.
- Last minute
- “brilliant accomodation”
- “We went on a short break with another family here and found the accommodation spacious and very well maintained .Staithes was a great base with good pubs and quaint shops.Our youngest loved the fact old jacks boat was filmed in the harbour and enjoyed walks by the shore and the lifeboat station.Good for families with a play area on the hill too.We liked the idea in the cottage that the older kids had their own room in the evenings and the adults could relax upstairs .A great place and we will go back there again with friends I am sure .”
- “Beautiful location with family and friends. Plus we had fabulous weather for early September! Would recommend to other small groups.”
- “A beautiful well equipped cottage close to the beach and local amenities. The owners were very friendly and helpful on the phone and made you feel you could ring them for anything. The separate living area downstairs was perfect for my teenage children and they loved the independence for a week. We would certainly recommend this to friends and would definitely consider coming back.”
- “Excellent accommodation for two families near the beach, pubs and restaurants. Little ones loved the fact that 'Old Jack's Boat' is filmed there and the beach.”
- “The cottage is furnished to a lovely standard, and there is everything you need for a comfortable stay. Staithes is the perfect place to get away from it all!”
About the location
Whitby 10 miles.
The charming and sleepy seaside village of Staithes, with its cobbled streets and back alleys, is something of an artist’s dream. Its pretty houses and cottages are clustered around the old harbour and surrounded by high craggy cliffs on three sides, with a sheltered sandy beach set amongst the rocky coastline. The village can claim connections with Captain Cook who was apprenticed to a draper near the harbour. Nowadays, Staithes is a must for anyone visiting the Yorkshire Coast and has a good selection of pubs, shops and tea rooms. Staithes is still home to an RNLI lifeboat station and a small fleet of cobles (fishing boats) landing fish, crab and lobster, with boat trips for birdwatching, fishing and even whale watching available. It’s also the location of the popular BBC children’s TV series, Old Jack’s Boat. Staithes has a strong attraction for artists, with an annual Art and Heritage Festival, galleries and artists studios with art courses and workshops regularly on offer. There’s a free Illusion Trail, which guides visitors around the network of ginnels (alleyways), with trail guides available locally. The best views of the town can be enjoyed from the Cleveland Way which runs down the cliff to the sea’s edge. Altogether a superb base for exploring the Yorkshire Coast, visiting the larger resorts of Whitby or Scarborough and enjoying the moorland villages of the North York Moors National Park.