- Off road parking
- Garden / Patio
- Cot available
- Washing machine
- Broadband / WiFi
Church Stretton 3 miles.
This charming stone-built, semi-detached cottage, built in 1820, adjoins the owner's attractive country house and gardens, in the rural hamlet of Cwm Head (meaning Head of the Valley), in an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, three miles from Church Stretton.
This charming Church Stretton cottage not only offers welcoming and cosy accommodation with a king-size double bedroom, bathroom, well-equipped kitchen and a sitting room with dining area, but the owner's house is steeped in literary history.
Children's author Malcolm Saville sent his young family to live there during the war years of 1941-2 and he was inspired to write his 'Lone Pine' books using features of the lovely local landscape as his backdrop.
This was featured on the BBC's Olympics edition of Countryfile in July 2012.
This scenic part of Shropshire is renowned for its hill walking and wildlife, as well as delightful Church Stretton, known as Little Switzerland.
Enjoy days out to famous medieval Ludlow, the Shropshire Discovery Centre, Stokesay Castle, Acton Scott Historic Working Farm, delightful Shrewsbury and the Ironbridge World Heritage Site with its ten museums.
This is the perfect Church Stretton cottage for a romantic break amidst lovely and peaceful surroundings.
One king-size double bedroom. Ground floor bathroom with roll-top bath, hand-held shower, basin and WC. Fitted kitchen. Sitting room with dining area.
- LPG central heating
- Electric oven and hob, microwave, fridge, use of owner's washing machine on request, dishwasher, Combi TV/DVD with Freeview, WiFi
- Fuel and power inc. in rent
- Bed linen and towels inc. in rent
- Travel cot on request
- Off road parking for 1 car
- Bike storage
- Patio with furniture
- One well-behaved dog welcome
- Sorry, no smoking
- Shops 3 miles, pub/restaurant 1.5 miles
- Note: Babes-in-arms only.
- Last minute
- “Fantasticly presented romantic country cottage”
- “My boyfriend and I just spent a week in this cottage. It was immaculately and thoughtfully presented. The cottage and the garden were both stunning, and Susie the owner left us a box of chocolates and some jam for when we arrived. The location was peaceful and very attractive and ideally located for exploring Shropshire. I'd highly recommend it to couples wanting a break from it all.”
- “The owner was friendly and helpful and welcomed us on our arrival. Plus came to say goodbye on our departure. A lovely location, perfect for walking and exploring the nearby towns of Shrewsbury and Ludlow. It was a shame about the weather but we did visit in November!”
- “Stable Cottage was a very nice pleasant and comfortable cottage. We had all the amenities we required, and that made for a very enjoyable holiday. We particularly liked the garden which was visited by many delightful birds everyday.”
- “We had a lovely time at Stable Cottage. The owner was friendly and very thoughtful. We were made to feel very welcome including our dog who loved the freedom of the farm garden and found the orchard and woodlands most appealing. On the whole a very enjoyable week.”
- “The Cottage and its location were perfect for a quiet Shropshire escape. All the other reviews have already sold its virtues and I can only concur with them. I would highly recommend it if you are looking for a tranquil holiday and a perfect base camp to visit all the great countryside features the area has to offer. Don't ponder just book it!”
- “Lovely setting, peaceful and restful. Dog friendly, which is a must for us. Owner on site but in no way interferes in any way; around to answer queries if necessary. Location is central to many places to explore. Just the most quiet, relaxing holiday we've had for a long time. Plan to return one day.”
- “The cottage was both beautiful and immaculate and the garden was stunning. We had a lovely peaceful week there and went on lots of days out around Shropshire. A really romantic, tranquil break!”
- “The cottage and use of spacious garden was very relaxing and peaceful. We did not have to venture far as we were so content there. We will definitely be returning.”
- “I found our first visit to Shropshire fascinating, and would thoroughly recommend both the county and this cottage to others. Thank you for a wonderful, peaceful holiday.”
- “Fabulous garden, lots of bees and birds about. Very good location for walking,stunning scenery. Handy for Ludlow,Shrewsbury and further afield into Herefordshire. Harry our Staffy loved playing with Boris,the resident dog. Wouldn't hesitate to return to Stable Cottage. Fabulous weeks holiday! Thank you.”
- “Excellent accommodation for couples. Lovingly cared for by a very nice owner in the gorgeous garden of her big house in a tranquil country location.”
- “Wonderful to wake up to birds singing and no traffic! Clean fresh air. Excellent walking areas with several dog friendly pubs. The owner is very friendly and helpful. Home made jam and chocolates in the cottage on arrival.”
- “A very comfortable cottage in a peaceful location in beautiful surrounding countryside.”
About the location
Ludlow 15 miles; Shrewsbury 15 miles.
The pretty market town of Church Stretton lies in the heart of south Shropshire. It is set amid striking scenery and has often been described as "Little Switzerland". The town is the main centre for Shropshire's hill country and home to a variety of tearooms, pubs and specialist shops. Other local attractions include walks on the Long Mynd, the Acton Scott Working Farm and Stokesay Castle. The historic towns of Shrewsbury, Ludlow, Ironbridge, Much Wenlock and Bishops Castle are only a short journey away.