- Off road parking
- Ground floor bedroom
- Garden / Patio
- Cot available
- Highchair available
- Washing machine
This delightful Govilon cottage has been thoughtfully designed by the owners to offer a superb holiday base.
With wheelchair access, a large wet room attached to the ground floor bedroom and emergency lighting throughout, this Govilon cottage is suitable for guests with limited mobility.
The well-equipped kitchen, cosy sitting room with dining area and the charming first floor bedrooms, both with en-suite shower rooms, complete this light and airy Govilon cottage.
Sitting on a hillside in the Brecon Beacons National Park, the large garden offers panoramic mountain views which will mesmerise you in any season.
This Govilon cottage is a paradise for walkers and cyclists alike with the canal towpath and wonderful mountain walks all accessible close to the cottage.
This welcoming Govilon cottage is 3 miles from Abergavenny with its array of shops, tea rooms, pubs and restaurants.
Whatever you do, you will always be pleased to return to this welcoming Govilon cottage at the end of your day to relax in superb surroundings.
Three bedrooms: 1 x double with en-suite shower, basin and WC, 1 x twin with en-suite shower, basin and WC, 1 x ground floor single with pull-out stacker bed. Ground floor wet room with grab rails, low level basin and WC (Jack-and-Jill doors between bedroom and wet room and with wheelchair access). Fitted kitchen. Utility room. Sitting room with dining area.
- Oil central heating
- Electric oven, halogen hob, microwave, fridge/freezer, washing machine, tumble dryer, dishwasher, 4 x TVs with Freeview, DVD, CD/radio, small library of books, games and DVDs
- Fuel and power inc. in rent
- Bed linen and towels inc. in rent
- Travel cot and highchair
- Off road parking for 2 cars
- Large, enclosed lawned garden with patio and furniture
- Sorry, no pets and no smoking
- Shop and pub 1 mile down steep road
- Note: Open raised fish pond next to drive, children should be supervised at all times.
- Last minute
- “Home again”
- “There is not many places we go where we feel at home immediately but we do at Penrose Cottage. We have had another perfect week there and the weather has been fabulous. Possibly better than any single week in August. The cottage, as always, was just a dream. The views really are amazing and we were lucky enough to see the lunar eclipse on Wednesday which was brilliant without any light pollution. Can't wait for our next visit to Govilon.”
- “Another Visit to Heaven!”
- “We have just returned from our second visit to Penrose Cottage. We found it just as relaxing as our previous visit and would recommend it highly to anyone travelling with a disabled person. The cottage, as always, is a joy with panoramic views out over the Brecon Beacons. The mountainside location means you are well away from traffic noise and even light pollution. The weather was very kind to us for April which made the whole experience just lovely. The cottage has 3 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms one of which is located on the ground floor with a wet room for a wheelchair user. We take our own floor hoist with us but everything else is suitable for wheelchairs. The kitchen door and rear French doors both have flat access to the garden area. A wooden picnic table means you can eat al fresco if desired. Kitchen is really well stocked with plates, cups, dishes and pans etc. Dishwasher, washing machine and tumble dryer all available. The hosts, Keith and Diane, are lovely people who are always on hand, if required. If you want a peaceful, comfortable holiday to de-stress Penrose Cottage is the place for you.”
- “A Little Piece of Heaven”
- “We have just returned from Penrose Cottage in Govilon after one of the must peaceful holidays ever. This cottage is really lovely in a great location, excellent facilities and very kind and considerate hosts. The cottage is on the mountainside just outside Govilon village with the most spectacular views across the Brecon Beacons - the Sugar Loaf mountain right opposite and a panorama that stretches probably 20 miles. There is a locked private garden with wildlife all around - birds, rabbits, squirrels and two very friendly sheep in the field next door. The sheep are the best form of food waste recycling ever. you name it they'll eat it. We called them Pavlov's sheep because as soon as you appeared near the fence they would come bounding down to see what was on offer. Inside the cottage there were full facilities for a restful holiday - washing machine, tumble dryer and dish washer. Very well equipped kitchen. Microwave and halogen hob and electric oven. a downstairs bedroom with en suite wet room was ideal for my disabled son. All of the ground floor was fully accessible with flat access to front doors and patio doors. We took a manual hoist with us and because of the wood flooring it worked really well. It is often difficult to take a disabled person away on holiday and have full confidence that all of the facilities and accommodation will suit but this was everything and more we could have hoped for. The lounge/diner was a good size with TV and DVD. Upstairs there are two double bedrooms (one a twin) both with en suite shower rooms. All of the bedrooms have TVs. The whole place is very cottagey with doors with latches etc. I cannot recommend this cottage enough especially if you are taking a wheelchair user in your party. The hosts, Keith and Diane, are very hospitable. Keith gave us plenty of ideas of places to visit while we were there. They keep the cottage in excellent condition, clean and well maintained. Keith and Diane live just next door and are on hand if anything is required but are very unobtrusive otherwise. Often a thumbs up across the field at the back was all that was needed. You may notice if you know this area of Wales that we had travelled only 24 miles to stay at Penrose Cottage because my son does not travel well. This cottage is a little piece of heaven which should not be missed. Just two other points - previous reviewers mentioned poor TV reception but we found it fine on all of the TVs in the cottage. Another reviewer mentioned a very low bridge on the lane to get to the cottage - we have a disabled vehicle which is 2.1m high and was no problem nor was the transit from Waitrose with a refrigerator unit on the top who delivered groceries for us. However, there is another way around if you would prefer. There is no WiFi at the cottage but our 3G worked on the mobiles.”
- “Penrose cottage a dream”
- “Stayed here in November 2013, weather cold but welcome warm. Great cottage and great owner could not have asked for better. Downstairs bedroom (ensuite) fully wheelchair accessible. Would recommend this cottage to anyone, owners very nice and helpful.”
- “Ideal. Well equipped. Very friendly owner. rented this property twice”
- “Perfect cottage, perfect location, perfect owners”
- “I stayed at the cottage in april with two elderly people, one of whom was in a wheelchair. The facilities were fantastic for disabled visitors. The cottage looked like we were the first occupants, it was in pristine condition - we were really surprised to learn that it had been a rental cottage for around 2 years. The owners were lovely - nothing was too much trouble, although they were not intrusive. The location is absolutely beautiful - on the side of a hill in the Brecon foothills, with fantastic views and a field of very friendly sheep adjacent to the garden. We loved it so much that immediately re-booked when we got home to take my granddaughters there in the Summer holidays.”
- “Don't forget Gran (or Grandad) even if they are 'forgetful'.”
- “Everything you could want from a holiday 'home'. Fenced and locked grassed garden with incredible views over Abergaveny and the Brecon Beacons. Friendly sheep in adjoining field who enjoy a feed and a pat, numerous visiting birds, if you put out a bit of seed and wild bunnies. Superbly maintained property by an owner who makes you feel comfortable and that nothing is too much trouble. We have my 89 year old disabled mother with us who has a downstairs wet room and bedroom here. She says she could look out at the views all week without going out and we are already planning to return in the summer with my grandchildren. Canal nearby for walks and fishing and a railway track footpath for level walks apart from all lhat the region has to offer. Brilliant Waitrose 10 mins away in car (we booked a home delivery from Tesco to get us going). Be aware access from short route from Abergaveny is under 5' 6" clearance bridge.”
- “Absolutely fantastic all round, lovely delightful Cottage, fabulous host, really couldn't have asked for more. Everything was exactly as stated on your web site, in fact, it exceeded all our expectations. Will definitely recommend to my friends and family and will be booking again in the summer. Thank you for an awesome holiday.”
- “The views from Penrose Cottage are just stunning, the whole experience of being on the mountainside is brilliant and a great de-stresser. The cottage is lovely with plenty of accommodation for 6 people. The kitchen has everything you could want to make a stress free holiday. The hosts are just lovely people who go above and beyond to make the holiday as relaxed as possible.”
- “This is a super property in a good location with wonderful views. The standard of the accommodation is very good and the property owners were very friendly and extremely helpful. I would not hesitate to book again if I was planning to visit the area. Highly recommended!”
- “The owner could not have been more helpful. The disabled facilities had been extremely well thought out. Everything was exactly as described. The cottage was extremely clean and the kitchen was well equipped. The views were stunning and there are very friendly sheep in the next field! All in all a lovely relaxing few days. We would definitely use this cottage again.”
- “This was our second visit to Penrose Cottage and, once again, we received a very warm welcome from the owners. The views are stupendous, and the cottage so comfortable and well equipped, especially the bathrooms, all en-suite.”
- “The views across the Brecon Beacons is just stunning and the peace and quiet is amazing. The hosts are unobtrusive but very helpful and kind people. To be in such tranquil surroundings in the sunshine was a great de-stresser.”
- “It was brilliant. A great cottage with stunning views.”
- “Excellent Cottage, wonderful location and slept 6 well due to the fact it has 3 bathrooms. Highly recommended.”
- “One of the best cottages we have ever stayed in. The area was fantastic with great hiking and walking if wanted. In easy reach of good food only 10 mins in a car gave wide choice. The owner was a friendly and helpful man and we would highly recommend his cottage to anyone. Due to the layout of the cottage it would be ideal to anyone with any disability.”
- “Penrose Cottage is the ideal location for the Crickhowell walking festival. Easy access to major routes in and out of Govilon. The views from the cottage are breathtaking. This is my third year at Penrose Cottage and therefore shall be returning next year. Fabulous!”
- “Lovely view from the house over the valley to the hills beyond, and over the town with twinkling lights at night. Clean, comfortable, well-designed and warm house with friendly locals.”
- “Beautiful surroundings, an island of tranquillity when I really needed it.”
About the location
Abergavenny 3 miles; Newport 20 miles.
Govilon is a small, pretty, scattered village with a shop and pub/restaurant just 3 miles from Abergavenny. The area offers a wealth of natural beauty, with lovely walks through the Wye Valley, along the Brecon Canal or through the breathtaking Brecon Beacons. The picturesque market town of Abergavenny nestles between seven mountains, and the River Usk flows through it, resulting in beautiful views in every direction. The town boasts a castle with its own museum, churches, an indoor market hall, good shops and a multitude of pubs and restaurants to suit all tastes. With abbeys, castles, mining museums and a Roman amphitheatre and baths at nearby Caerleon, there is something different to discover every day of your holiday.