- Hot tub
- Off road parking
- Ground floor bedroom
- Open fire
- Garden / Patio
- Cot available
- Highchair available
- Pub/shop < 1 mile
- Washing machine
- Broadband / WiFi
Gilling Old Mill
Gilling West 0.5 miles. A group of magnificent properties, sympathetically converted from lovely old stone barns and buildings and set in part around an idyllic courtyard, 5 minutes' walk from the delightful village of Gilling West. There are two lakes which offer fly and coarse fishing, plus the owners live in the farmhouse and provide a warm, friendly welcome. The properties can be booked individually or as a group to accommodate larger gatherings.
A magnificent property, a quality conversion of a lovely old stone barn.
Set in an idyllic courtyard position, 5 minutes' walk from the pretty village of Gilling West.
The accommodation is furnished, equipped and decorated to a very high standard with individually styled bedrooms.
Also there is the option to hire a private hot tub for use during your stay.
A superb holiday retreat, any time of year.
Mainly ground floor. Four bedrooms: 3 x double, 1 x first floor twin (2' 6" beds). Shower room with shower, basin & WC. Shower room with shower & WC. Well-equipped fitted kitchen/dining room. Spacious sitting room with double sofabed (for flexible sleeping only), wooden floors, open fire & lovely views towards the village.
- Oil central heating with open fire in sitting room
- Electric cooker, microwave, fridge/freezer, dishwasher, plasma TV, video, WiFi
- Shared use of laundry with washer & dryer
- Fuel & power inc. in rent
- Bed linen & towels inc. in rent
- Cot & highchair on request
- Ample off road parking
- Private patio & gardens with furniture & BBQ
- Shared use of courtyard
- Free fly fishing in well-stocked lake, free coarse fishing in 2nd lake, by prior arrangement
- Use of private hot tub at additional cost of £80 per week or £60 per short break, payable direct to owner
- One well-behaved dog by arrangement (£20 per week, payable direct to owner)
- Sorry, no smoking
- Shop 1.5 miles, two pubs 5 mins walk.
- Last minute
- “Relaxing in comfortable luxury with glorious views.”
- “We stayed for my husband's 50th with family and friends. Everyone loved it, particularly the dogs.We want to make it an annual event.”
- “Fabulous accommodation and location”
- “There were nine of us in our party, plus a dog, staying for a week. The location was fabulous, particularly because it is so accessible from a major route. The Dovecote was marvellous and having rented numerous large cottages over the years, I rate this in the top three! The owners were also very friendly and helpful. We would all highly recommend this property.”
- “Gone West”
- “The owners are very friendly and helpful which helps you relax. The cottage is well appointed and very clean and well maintained with plenty of room for the two of us and our Westie, thankfully the owners are very dog friendly too. The setting is lovely and quiet with many beautiful walks from the front door. Gilling West itself is very pleasant with a couple of good pubs for eating out. It is ideally placed for accessing the local area and the A1M to get home easily. Close by as you travel to Barnard Castle is a really good farm shop and cafe. This was our second stay here and we are back in 2010 which says it all.”
- “Good base with good facilities”
- “Nothing was too much trouble for the owners on site. They were extremely helpful regarding the children, finding outdoor toys and offering child sized fishing rods. Good facilities outside for the children included trampoline and nice play area with large wooden castle. Plenty of room for cricket and football. Nice location for walking the dog- several really nice walks straight from the house. Good base for exploring the Dales and further north to Durham and south to York. House nicely decorated and comfortable. Everything worked. Kitchen rather small ideally - more work surfaces would have been good for us, as we cook a lot.”
- “It was a nicely presented house with a lovely log fire and hot tub! The land around it was great open space, especially for kids. The owners were very easy to deal with and flexible which was helpful. Lots of glasses, plates etc which was handy. Lovely location and reasonable price. Milk and biscuits were nice touch too.”
- “"We all thoroughly enjoyed our stay. We were extremely welcomed by the owners and would go back again."”
- “Brilliant walks, extremely friendly and helpful hosts. Excellent local pub close by offering fine food and drink! Highly recommended for the perfect break.”
- “Everything about the place was spot on; from the accommodation to the grounds and the owners were very helpful. We would definitely go back and recommend to family and friends. Loads of space in the grounds for young and old to enjoy themselves and had the choice of hiring the hot tub which we used every day. The weather was good and we were able to use the BBQ, which we loved. We stayed for three nights, we were eight adults and one 11 week old baby, his first holiday, it was a great family break.”
- “The holiday was absolutely lovely. Stunning views. Stunning home. Me and my family enjoyed it so much and we will definitely be coming back. Excellent!!!”
- “This was my second visit to The Dovecote and it did not disappoint! Everything was how I had remembered it - clean and well furnished, it had everything you would need in the kitchen. A perfect getaway for the weekend. A beautiful village within walking distance too, I can so recommend!”
About the location
Richmond 3 miles; Barnard Castle 11 miles.
The attractive and peaceful Dales village of Gilling West, winner of the "Yorkshire in Bloom" award, is situated in lovely rolling countryside just a few miles to the north of the popular market town of Richmond. The village itself has a lovely old church, two real ale pubs both serving food and a village shop/post office. There are footpaths and bridleways in every direction and fishing is available nearby. Nearby Richmond grew up around its castle, famously situated high above the River Swale, with panoramic views of the river. Today there are wonderful walks to be enjoyed such as the Castle Walk - a dramatic terrace walk beneath the castle walls - or alternatively walk alongside the River Swale where there are parks, safe paddling areas and small waterfalls to enjoy. Within the town, narrow streets and alleys radiate from the cobbled Market Place (which has a weekly market and monthly farmers’ market) and there are numerous shops, pubs and restaurants to enjoy. The Georgian Theatre is one of the oldest surviving theatres in the country with visitors enjoying its regular productions all year round. An ideal location for exploring all of Swaledale, Teesdale and the Yorkshire Dales.