- Off road parking
- Open fire
- Garden / Patio
- Cot available
- Highchair available
- Washing machine
A charming 300-year old, stone-built, semi-detached cottage, set within the owner's racing stables on a high hillside, a short distance from Coverham, three miles from Middleham.
This good quality Middleham cottage, set over three floors, once housed the cast from TV's All Creatures Great and Small, and provides warm, cosy accommodation.
The Middleham cottage accommodation seamlessly combines many original features with modern comforts to offer a holiday retreat of much merit.
A spacious sitting room with an open fire and dining area adjoins the small kitchen, and the three bedrooms are set out over the first and second floors.
Nearby, Middleham houses the ruins of a 11th century castle, and the village is also famous for training racehorses which can be seen training on a daily basis on the gallops.
In Coverham the Forbidden Corner is a visitor attraction with a difference, with follies and labyrinths to explore, and is perfect for any age!
An ideal Middleham cottage for family and friends to enjoy a break in the country.
Over three floors. Three bedrooms: 1 x double, 1 x 2nd floor double, 1 x 2nd floor twin (zip/link, can be double on request). Bathroom with bath, shower over, basin and WC. Kitchen. Sitting room with dining area and open fire.
- Economy 7 night storage heaters with open fire in sitting room
- Electric cooker, microwave, fridge/freezer, washing machine, dishwasher, TV, DVD, radio/CD, books/games/DVDs
- Fuel, power and starter pack for open fire inc. in rent (extra wood available to purchase from owner)
- Bed linen and towels inc. in rent
- Travel cot and highchair on request
- Off road parking for 3 cars
- Garden with patio and furniture
- One well-behaved pet welcome
- Sorry, no smoking
- Shop and pub 3 miles
- Note: Cottage is set on a working stables - horses pass the cottage between 7am and 1pm each day, please keep children/pets under strict supervision
- Last minute
- “Beautiful house”
- “We visited Highbeck cottage in October 2013, the setting is stunning, you can see the horses all around and they pass the house several times a day. The house is beautiful with everything you could need. We visited the Forbidden corner which was magical and Catterick market during our stay. Both great days out. The only possible downside was the weather it was very rainy but as long as you are prepared for that it's ok. The owner was lovely as well and we would love to go back one day and would highly recommend to friends and family.”
- “The cottage was lovely and comfortable and warm,the rooms very spacious and all well equiped. The owner who lives on site was most helpful. The location was perfect for us with lovely walks close by. Would be my dream location for a christmas break and I have recommended to several friends.”
- “Get away from it all”
- “Great place for a family get away. The cottage is remote enough for wonderful walks but close enough to visit great places by car. We went to Fountains abbey twice - in the day and again when it was lit up at night for Halloween. Riveaux, Aysgarth Falls and York completed this lovely break.”
- “Warm thoughtful owner and a cleaner who look after a very comfortable cottage. An open fire, quality couches and a good bed. Everything you need for self catering. Walks in any direction you want with good pub food on many routes at just the time you need one. After a pint, food and reading the paper it was hard to motivate selves for walk home. The atmosphere of the high moor with horses all around and a certain melancholy in the air of ancient ways still observed made the stay otherworldly. The fact we watched three series of Herriot in building they stayed in and kept seeing stables used in different stories added to the break!”
- “Loved the cottage and the location, the owner made us very welcome. We would love to return one day.”
- “A tranquil location, away from it all with beautiful views. In a central location to explore the Dales.”
About the location
Middleham 3 miles; Leyburn 3 miles.
Coverham is a tiny hamlet located just 3 miles from it's better-known neighbour of Middleham, in beautiful Coverdale. The attractive Wensleydale town of Middleham is renowned for its history and race horses. Much of the history is bound up with its Norman castle, which dates from 1190 and has a castle keep second in size only to the Tower of London. The horses are a great sight as they make their way to the gallops every morning. The pretty market square is partially cobbled and offers a wide range of shops, pubs and places to eat. The bustling market town of Leyburn is just a short drive away offering a variety of great shops and pubs, or why not take some time to explore The Forbidden Corner, a unique labyrinth of tunnels, chambers and surprises set amidst 4 acres of grounds, providing a fun day out for all the family. All in all a superb base for exploring Wensleydale and all within easy driving distance of York, the North York Moors and the Yorkshire Dales and Heritage Coast.