- Off road parking
- Ground floor accommodation
- Ground floor bedroom
- Open fire
- Garden / Patio
- Pub/shop < 1 mile
- Broadband / WiFi
A quite outstanding stone-built, detached cottage set in a beautiful walled garden just below King Richard’s castle in Middleham.
Set out over the ground floor, this Middleham cottage is a real delight, providing excellent accommodation with beautiful views of open fields and woodland.
Furnished to a high standard throughout, this Middleham cottage features an open plan living area with a modern well-equipped kitchen, dining area and beautiful sitting area with solid oak flooring and a cosy woodburning stove.
There is also a ground floor master bedroom with en-suite facilities and a TV, and like the rest of this Middleham cottage, is furnished in a modern and contemporary style.
Outside, there is a fabulous patio area with outstanding views across the walled gardens and the adjoining pasture, an ideal spot to sit and relax, drink a little wine and discuss the adventures of the day.
Enjoy exploring the lovely grounds or take a lovely stroll around the village and enjoy the wonderful atmosphere of this famous horse racing town.
The nearby walk onto Penn Hill is a must, where the horses training on the gallops provide a wonderful insight to the world of horse racing.
Middleham’s amenities are on the doorstep, with local eateries, an 11th century castle and excellent old pubs.
Just a short drive away is Hawes, where guests to this Middleham cottage can visit the Dales Countryside Museum, Jervaulx Abbey, Wensleydale Creamery and Aysgarth Falls.
Three miles away is the Forbidden Corner at Leyburn, a 4 acre garden with a labyrinth of tunnels, follies and other surprises.
With the Lake District and the Northern Dales just waiting to be discovered further afield, this charming Middleham cottage has that little bit of everything!
All ground floor. One king-size double bedroom with en-suite shower, basin and WC. Open plan living area with kitchen, dining area and sitting area with woodburning stove.
- Electric central heating with woodburning stove
- Electric oven and hob, microwave, fridge, shared use of freezer, dishwasher, 2 x TVs with Freeview, DVD, CD/radio, WiFi, selection of books and games
- Power inc. in rent
- Logs only inc. in rent for stove from start of October to end of March
- Bed linen and towels inc. in rent
- Off road parking for 1 car
- Small patio area with furniture and shared use of the walled gardens
- Sorry, no pets and no smoking
- Shops and pubs 1 min walk
- Note: Only logs are provided for the stove from October to March
- Firelighters and kindling can be purchased locally
- Outside of these months guests must provide their own logs, firelighters and kindling.
- Last minute
- “A superb location. The cottage was very good and the owners were brilliant. We would recommend the cottage to anyone. There were dozens of lovely walks and lovely small villages all within easy distance. If you love horses, Middleham is the place to stay, with 100's of racehorses stabled around the village.”
- “Liked the relaxation and the wonderful views. We could watch the birds whilst sitting in bed.”
- “This is an excellent cottage with a grand view over open countryside. Middleham is an interesting village; the early morning sound of race horse hooves adds to the especial charm of the place. Add to that a great castle and a variety of good eating places and you have the recipe for an enjoyable time in the Yorkshire Dales. The owners of the property are very helpful.”
- “The setting was superb. An oasis in the stress of life. Liked the peace solitude and tranquillity.”
- “A truly excellent property which I have already recommended to some friends. It is a fantastic place to relax, with the gentle pleasures of Middleham just a couple of hundred yards away. Yes - I enjoyed staying in The Summer Palace.”
- “Very quiet cottage, just what we needed. The owners are very nice, and nothing was too much trouble. We would certainly recommend the cottage.”
- “The location was perfect just as described. The cottage was spacious, quiet, cosy and in the perfect spot. The owners were very helpful and welcoming on arrival, but not overpowering, and nothing was too much trouble for them.”
About the location
Leyburn 2.5 miles; Richmond 12 miles.
The attractive Wensleydale town of Middleham is renowned for its history and race horses. Much of the history is bound up with its Norman castle, which dates from 1190 and has a castle keep second in size only to the Tower of London. The horses are a great sight as they make their way to the gallops every morning. The pretty market square is partially cobbled and offers a range of shops, pubs and places to eat. The bustling market town of Leyburn is just a short drive away offering a variety of great shops and pubs, or why not take some time to explore The Forbidden Corner, a unique labyrinth of tunnels, chambers and surprises set amidst 4 acres of grounds, providing a fun day out for all the family? All in all a superb base for exploring Wensleydale and all within easy driving distance of York, the North York Moors and the Yorkshire Dales and Heritage Coast.