Close Icon

Have you already set up your glamping site and aren’t sure how to insure it? Perhaps you’re considering setting up a glamping site on some spare land? If so, you’ll no doubt be seeking information on glamping insurance to help you understand what kind of cover you need.

Look no further, you’re in the right place! From yurts to tree houses, shepherds huts to lodges, here’s everything you need to know about glamping insurance.

What is glamping insurance?

Since the Covid-19 pandemic, ‘safe’ staycations have been be in higher demand, and while international travel is still unpredictable, the need continues to grow. Many people, such as farmers, have been making the most of this increased demand by diversifying into the Glamping industry.

Making sure that you have the correct glamping insurance will protect you financially from any compensation that you might become liable to pay, should one of your guests get injured or if your property was to get damaged by a fire, for example.

Glamping is a very diverse enterprise, and it includes multiple different types of accommodation. It’s hard to know what types of accommodation are covered under glamping insurance.

You’ll need to make sure that your structure, whatever it might be, is covered against damage, as well as public liability, employers liability and loss of income cover. Read on to find out more.

What types of structures are covered under glamping insurance?

Glamping is defined as a form of camping that provides accommodation and facilities that are more luxurious than those associated with traditional camping. It can include many different types of structures, with more and more unique and architecturally creative properties being created as the industry expands.

Among the many different types of glamping structures you’ll find:

  • Yurts
  • Shepherds huts
  • Tree Houses
  • Glamping Pods
  • Bell Tents
  • Tipis
  • Lodges
  • Garden Annexes
  • Sheds
  • Chalets

Don’t be afraid to get creative with your structure, the more unique the better, and a good insurance provider who specialises in glamping will be able to give you a quote on insuring your structure and facilities.

If your structure is part of a wider site that is not owned by yourself, then you will need to make sure that you have sufficiently covered yourself by understanding where your responsibility lies.

Generally, as the owner of the structure you will be liable for any damage or accident that occurs. Continue reading to find out what you can get covered with a specialist provider of glamping insurance.

What is covered under glamping insurance

The requirements of a glamping site can create some real challenges for insurers due to the uniqueness of the structures and specific requirements of the facilities.

It’s not just the structure that you’ll need cover for, although this is usually the main consideration when insuring glamping sites. Anything that is located outside, but close to the structure, could be included in a glamping insurance policy.

Most glamping insurance specialists will allow you to add extras such as BBQs, fire pits, outdoor furniture and awnings. You should make sure that you have specified this with your insurer.

If you are thinking of setting up your structure for the purpose of holiday letting, you can also get cover for personal liability, loss of income due to business interruption and employer’s liability insurance. You can read more about this in our full guide to holiday let insurance.

Specialist glamping insurance can provide over for:

  • Timber constructions
  • Canvas structures
  • Site closure out of season
  • Playgrounds, entertainment areas and food outlets
  • Water facilities such as lakes, swimming pools and ponds
  • Outdoor furniture
  • Awnings
  • Washroom facilities
  • Activity equipment such as bikes, kayaks and rowing boats

Some of these facilities will only be provided if the site caters for multiple properties, and the right provider will be able to give you cover for multiple properties on one site as well as for the site facilities.

Other considerations when looking for Glamping Insurance

Log Burners

Added extras such as log burners can be very risky for insurers, especially if they are installed in timber or canvas structures. The insurance provider may require you to show them proof that the log burner has been installed professionally.

You can help to reduce the risk by providing warning signs and guidance for guests on how to use the log burners safely. These may also help to secure cover and reduce your insurance premium. For more information read our 8 top tips to reduce your holiday let insurance premium.

Supporting Activities and Facilities

Glamping is not like your average holiday let. The washing facilities are often in separate locations to the main accommodation, and the location can often be near water or in rural landscapes.

This means that your glamping insurance will need to cover you for any accidents or damage that occurs to these facilities that support your main accommodation.

Check with your insurer if you require further measures for things such as fencing around ponds and lakes, or protection against falling trees in heavily wooded areas. Your provider may require you to supply photographs or plans of the area, and may even conduct a site visit before providing you with a quote.

Public Liability

Glamping accommodation can come with higher risks than your average holiday home. The structures are much less stable than an average house, and many have unique features that seem fun, but are actually very dangerous and risky from an insurance perspective.

A treehouse, for example, will need to be insured for public liability insurance incase someone slips and falls to the ground. Structures such as yurts and tipis can be far more likely to catch fire. A specialist insurer will be able to tailor your policy to suit these higher risks.

For further information on public liability insurance, you can read our full guide to public liability for holiday lets.

Can I use campsite insurance to insure my glamping site?

Glamping varies significantly from camping, and it’s no surprise that insurance for camping sites is often insufficient for glamping sites.

Standard campsite insurance may have restrictions or caveats that prevent you from getting the coverage that you need. You’ll need to find a specialist insurer who can offer a flexible plan that adequately meets your needs.

Glamping insurance and planning permission

If you want to let out your glamping pod or structure to paying guests, then you’ll need to apply for planning permission with your local council.

This is because the use of the land will be changing if the property or structure is going to be occupied for longer than 28 days by someone who is not yourself as the owner.

Many local councils will only approve planning permission for glamping sites on the grounds that a minimum level of insurance has been purchased.

This can differ depending on the location of the structure, so make sure that you have checked on your local requirements to avoid any pitfalls if something should go wrong. You should always seek information from your local council before going ahead with any plans.

For more information about planning permission you can read our complete guide to planning permission for holiday lets.

Glamping Insurance Summary

So, if you’re just getting started within the glamping industry, or if you’re set up and ready go, make sure that you get in touch a specialist insurer who can tailor insurance cover that fully meets your needs.

If you’re thinking of letting your property with Sykes and would like further information, you can contact our property experts or download your free owner pack below.

Let your property with Sykes and earn up to £125,000 per year*

  • Join over 15,000 holiday properties already working with Sykes Cottages
  • We welcome over 26 million web visitors a year
  • Many of our owners achieve more than 45 bookings a year
  • We specialise in turning your holiday property into a profitable year-round income for you

*Based on a 7 bedroom property in the Lake District with bookings between October 2017 to September 2018.

holiday let owner pack

Get involved in the Discussion

Sign up to receive discounts, exclusive offers, travel tips and guides.