“- Lovely cottage in the countryside of east England, great value for money.”
- We loved the village (especially the large cricket/football field with playground), nearby villages (e.g. Hedingham), the cottage (especially the beds) and welcoming owners.
- Cottage layout is very convenient, it is not extremely luxurious but has everything you need
- Owners live around the corner (but you have normal privacy), are welcoming and friendly and helped immediately with a technical issue with the furnace
- The east England climate is great, drier than other parts of the UK.
- Lots of options in the area: a Norman castle, the beach, nice villages and the occasional horse racing event (Newmarket)
- Some additional tips for activities in the area would be helpful to guests such as us, e.g. the Newmarket horse races were great but we didn't know them beforehand. The beaches we saw varied a lot in atmosphere: Clacton (town) was low-quality, the beach on the northern side of Clacton almost felt like a private beach and was terrific, and historical Brightlingsea seems a great place for crabbing but the beaches are small and swimming works better in the pool near them.
- The place was hard to find for us, as a road but not a house number was provided together with three villages/towns in the address (Gestingthorpe, Great Yeldham, Halstead). When you know that Gestingthorpe is the cottage location it's a breeze, but the directions should be a little more detailed for visitors who don't know the area.