List your property

Listing your property online with Sykes takes as little as 30 minutes!

By giving us your details you agree that the Sykes Group can contact you with more relevant information by email, text and phone. To stop this, just ask or click the opt out link when we’re next in touch. You can get more details and a list of our brands in our privacy policy.

Legal regulations for holiday lets

Clock Reading time: 5 Minutes

As you can probably imagine, there are various rules and regulations that govern the many aspects of owning and running a holiday property. But don't let that worry you as one of the leading holiday letting agents in the UK with over 5000 owners already trusting us to get them the best return, we have years of experience and can support you from the very start.

Complete the form to receive your information pack

Already started? Log in
By giving us your details you agree that the Sykes Group can contact you with more relevant information by email, text and phone. To stop this, just ask or click the opt out link when we’re next in touch. You can get more details and a list of our brands in our privacy policy.

Legal regulations

From fire safety and insurance all the way through to planning permission, we're here to help with any questions you may have, with our dedicated property experts on hand 7 days a week. We can also arrange an obligation-free visit from your expert local manager, who will provide you with detailed advice on what will work best for you and your holiday let. All you have to do is get in touch.

Guidelines for planning permission with holiday lets

Planning permission and holiday properties might seem like a confusing business, but if you choose the right agent then it doesn't have to be!

Here at Sykes we've helped 1000's of holiday let owners through the process of getting their property up and running, so when it comes to things like arranging planning permission, we know it's simply just start of an exciting journey.

Contact our friendly team today for free advice we'll help find answers to all of your holiday let questions to make sure your journey is as simple and straightforward as possible.

Do I need planning permission to build a holiday cottage?

If you're planning on building a new property specifically to use as a holiday let then you will need to apply for planning permission from your Local Planning Authority (LPA), just as you would with any new build. As a general rule, you'll need planning permission if you're thinking of building an entirely new structure, looking to make major changes to an existing building or wish to change the use of a building.

With our years of experience in the holiday let market, we'll be by your side at every step of the way, from applying for planning permission and drawing up the plans to welcoming your 100th guest and beyond.

Whatever stage you're at, if you're seeking further information then request a free information pack or contact our friendly team today, we're here to make sure your property enjoys the best return on your investment possible.

Council building regulations for holiday lets

As with any type of construction work, if you're considering making changes to your holiday let then there's a chance you might need approval in terms of building regulations. Here at Sykes, we know approval is often required for a range of improvements, from replacing fuse boxes through to installing new bathrooms and adding extensions, but don't let that put you off as we're happy to help find you the right answer - we'll work with you throughout this process at your own pace.

Your local manager will visit your holiday property or potential holiday let and offer advice on any changes you might be considering. They'll also make suggestions for any small improvements to the property that will make a big difference to your guests and add value to your holiday home in order to bring you the income you deserve.

If you have a specific building change in mind that you'd like to discuss, or you just want to talk to an expert about how best to maximise your income then please don't hesitate to contact us, our job is to help you get the best out of letting your property.

What are the health and safety guidelines for holiday lets?

When letting out your property as a short term let, there are several health and safety regulations for holiday lets you'll need to consider.

From checking the electrics and gas, to ensuring child safety measures are met, and following the health and safety guidelines around any swimming pools or hot tubs at your holiday property. This may seem daunting, but with our years of experience, whatever you need, we're certain that we will have helped a property owner before with exactly the same concerns.

We'll also make recommendations to help make your life easier, such as keeping a record of any services and repairs in your holiday home and conducting ongoing checks throughout the year. What's more, as a flexible agent, we'll advise the best time to block out dates for maintenance, so you can keep on top of everything.

We're here to help smooth out the process, so if you have any further queries about holiday letting then please get in touch with our property experts, they'll go through everything with you and help you get the best out of your property.

Free Legal Guidance on holiday letting

Still got some questions over the legal aspects of running a holiday let? Well don't worry, we're here to help! Our phones are manned 7 days a week meaning that we're just a quick call away, and with over 25 years' experience in the industry, we've become well versed in all the rules and regulations surrounding holiday cottages.

We're always happy to help, either by lending you some expert guidance or by pointing you in the right direction. So no matter what stage of the journey you're at, whether you're brand new to holiday letting or you just want some no-obligation advice on your property then feel free to give us a call.

Do I need a fire risk assessment for holiday lets?

Do I need a fire risk assessment for holiday lets?

In short yes, a fire risk assessment will need to be carried out for any property serving as holiday let accommodation for paying guests.

There will be other things you might have to consider when it comes to fire safety in your property, however part of the reason why thousands of owners trust us to take the hassle out of holiday letting is because we can provide clear and simple information. We'll run you through the steps of how to reduce any potential risk in your home and guide you on what to expect.

If you would like any advice or further information on ways in which you can reduce the risk of fire in your holiday property then speak with us today, we'd be happy to help.

Do I need public liability insurance for holiday lets?

As with running any business, it's important to make sure that you have public liability insurance in order to cover both yourself and your holiday property. To make sure each of our owners are protected, here at Sykes it's part of our agreement that they take out public liability insurance for their property.

We're happy to say that because of our partnership with Bollington Insurance we can offer a tailored insurance package, which comes complete with a minimum of £2m public liability cover.

If you'd like some more information about what's involved, or if you have any questions at all, then speak with us today.

What insurance do I need for letting a holiday property?

If you're considering starting up a holiday letting business then there are various types of insurance that you'll want to look into for your property, but don't worry as we're here to help.

Here at Sykes we enjoy a good relationship with Bollington, a respected insurance provider who can offer you a specially tailored package designed specifically to cater to your needs. With a minimum of £2 million public liability cover and cover for loss of earnings, amongst plenty of other features, it's a great policy for holiday let owners.

If you would like any specific information regarding the Sykes Cottages – Bollington policy then get in touch.

What is the letting agreement for holiday homes?

What is the letting agreement for holiday homes?

In order to let out a property as a holiday let you'll need to draw up some booking conditions or a contract with your guests. This agreement will set out the terms under which guests will book and stay at your property, including things like the payment process, arrival and departure and cancellations.

This may seem like a tricky thing to get right, however here at Sykes Cottages, our owners don't have to worry about arranging a tenancy agreement for their guests. As our owners' agent, we enact a set of booking conditions on every single reservation that we take for them, allowing them peace of mind and plenty of assurances over their cottage.

If you'd like to learn more about our booking conditions or if you're simply seeking some free advice on how we can help make your life easier, then speak to our friendly property experts today.

What is the standard contract for holiday rental?

Here at Sykes we do have a set of terms and conditions that form a contract between both 'us' as the agent, and you. As with any business, it is important to ensure both parties understand the commitment needed and this allows us to have a steady stream of bookings with clear and easy-to-understand expectations.

We do what we can to ensure your holiday let journey is as stress-free as possible, so whether you'd prefer to sign your contract online or with your local manager, then we can help.

Download your free owner information pack

Here at Sykes Cottages, we offer a wide range of services to make holiday letting simple and straight-forward

Get started
Sykes Owner Pack

Back To Top