- Garden / Patio
- Cot available
- Highchair available
- Pub/shop < 1 mile
- Washing machine
A lovely, 200-year old, stone-built terraced cottage, originally the baker's, on the main street of the peaceful village of Gilling West, 3 miles from the historic market town of Richmond.
This cosy Gilling West cottage is a real delight, with many hours having been spent scouring antique shops to create a wonderful holiday home, well-equipped yet brimming with little curiosities, original photographs, and fixtures and furnishings in keeping with the overall style of the property.
This Gilling West cottage has a warm, cosy sitting room with an oil fired stove, a modern, well-equipped kitchen, and two lovely bedrooms, perfect for a romantic break.
Ideally located within a short walk of the village centre, this Gilling West cottage offers lovely walks in the surrounding countryside, while nearby Richmond offers a fascinating Norman castle, a weekly market, old curiosity shops and narrow alleyways and the picturesque River Swale.
A superb Gilling West cottage for exploring Swaledale, the Yorkshire Dales National Park, York Minster and the North York Moors.
Two bedrooms: 1 x double, 1 x 2nd floor twin. Bathroom with bath, shower over, basin and WC. Well-equipped, fitted kitchen with stable door overlooking patio. Dining room. Spacious sitting room with beamed ceiling, oil fired stove and sofa bed.
Oil central heating with oil fired stove. Electric cooker, microwave, fridge/freezer, washing machine, TV, DVD, stereo/CD, radio. All fuel and power inc. in rent. Bed linen and towels inc. in rent. Travel cot and highchair available. Small patio area with furniture and BBQ. Ample parking on the main street outside the cottage. One well-behaved dog welcome. Sorry, no smoking. Shop and pubs 1 min walk.
- Last minute
- “Hidden Gem”
- “Took this for a last minute short break, so a bit pot luck. The location is excellent being so close to the nearby road networks and Scotch Corner, so you can drop down into the Yorkshire Dales, go across to North Yorkshire or up into the Tees Valley. The village is a real hidden gem, with 2 excellent pubs and a lovely village shop, large church and pleasant walks round the village itself. The house is very pretty and very nicely laid out, with great heating and stove, lovely to come home to on a winter's day. Its cosy but also spacious and well equipped. Both bedrooms are large and the bathroom is massive and very Victorian, although the shower was almost too hot to be used. My only criticism would be that the sofas and chairs were quite old and not particularly comfortable, as the cushions had got very thin, but that feels almost churlish given how delightful everything else was!”
- “Lovely homely cottage with everything you could wish for in the way of kitchen appliances. Would certainly recommend a stay here.”
- “Bakers cottage was located in a lovely village with two good pubs.”
- “Beautiful cottage in a beautiful village.”
- “A very good location and comfortable cottage.”
About the location
Richmond 3 miles; Barnard Castle 11 miles.
The attractive and peaceful Dales village of Gilling West, winner of the "Yorkshire in Bloom" award, is situated in lovely rolling countryside just a few miles to the north of the popular market town of Richmond. The village itself has a lovely old church, two real ale pubs both serving food and a village shop/post office. There are footpaths and bridleways in every direction and fishing is available nearby. Nearby Richmond grew up around its castle, famously situated high above the River Swale, with panoramic views of the river. Today there are wonderful walks to be enjoyed such as the Castle Walk - a dramatic terrace walk beneath the castle walls - or alternatively walk alongside the River Swale where there are parks, safe paddling areas and small waterfalls to enjoy. Within the town, narrow streets and alleys radiate from the cobbled Market Place (which has a weekly market and monthly farmers’ market) and there are numerous shops, pubs and restaurants to enjoy. The Georgian Theatre is one of the oldest surviving theatres in the country with visitors enjoying its regular productions all year round. An ideal location for exploring all of Swaledale, Teesdale and the Yorkshire Dales.