- Off road parking
- Open fire
- Garden / Patio
- Cot available
- Pub/shop < 1 mile
- Washing machine
- Broadband / WiFi
A semi-detached, character cottage in the pretty Somerset village of Spaxton, to the west of Bridgwater.
This attractive Spaxton cottage dates back to the early 1800s and was originally part of a farmhouse, which was converted into four cottages.
It has two bedrooms and provides cosy accommodation within a peaceful village setting, with far-reaching views of the surrounding countryside.
The sitting room of this Somerset cottage has exposed beams over the doors and an inglenook fireplace with a woodburner, ideal for a cosy evening after some walking in the Quantock Hills.
The fitted kitchen of this Spaxton cottage has a dining area and a door leading to a pantile roofed patio and sunny enclosed garden, which is a peaceful spot to relax.
There are plenty of country walks from this Somerset cottage and Spaxton has some interesting restored almshouses, a pretty historic church, a welcoming traditional Somerset pub and a well-stocked community shop selling quality local produce, plus there is no street lighting in the village, which means on clear nights you can see outstanding views of the night sky.
With the WWT Steart Marshes right on the doorstep and four RSPB reserves within easy driving distance; Greylake, Swell Wood, Ham Wall and West Sedgemoor, this wonderful cottage is perfect for wildlife lovers.
Nearby there is the whole of the Quantock Hills to explore either on foot, on horseback or on bike and this Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty offers some excellent landscapes and fine views.
Exmoor and the North Somerset coast are just half an hour's drive from this Spaxton cottage where there are beach resorts, fishing villages, stunning moorland and National Trust coastal walks.
However, the Jurassic fossil beach of Kilve is 8 miles away, and WWT Steart is 7 miles, both reached in around 20 minutes.
This peaceful retreat provides a base for a memorable family holiday.
Two bedrooms: 1 x king-size double, 1 x twin. Bathroom with bath, shower over, basin and WC. Kitchen with dining area. Sitting room with woodburner. External utility.
- Electric convector heaters with woodburner
- Electric double oven, grill and hob, microwave, fridge
- Washing machine in external utility, dishwasher, TV with Freeview, Blu-ray, DVD, radio, iPod dock, WiFi, selection of books, games and DVDs
- Fuel, power and starter pack for woodburner inc. in rent
- Bed linen and towels inc. in rent
- Travel cot, infant's booster seat and stairgate
- Electric car charging point
- Off road parking for 1 car
- Bike storage
- Private front courtyard, rear enclosed, lawned garden with furniture and BBQ
- Two well-behaved dogs welcome
- Sorry, no smoking
- Shop 5 mins walk, pub 12 mins walk
- Note: Mobile phone signal can be intermittent indoors, good signal available in front rooms
- Note: Travel cot fits in each bedroom
- Note: Electric car charging point by arrangement with owner
- Last minute
- “Our holiday was absolutely wonderful, due in no small part to this chocolate box cottage in an idyllic setting ! superbly furnished throughout. a great place to spend a week and recharge your batteries. Would highly recommend this wonderful property.”
- “Lovely, relaxing cottage - great for dogs!!”
- “This cottage is lovely - very clean and tidy. The dog loved the outside enclosed garden. All mod-cons, everything you could ask for. Lots of info provided for things to do and theres lots to do! Great places to take the dog! I shall be definitiely recommending this little haven.”
- “Beautiful cottage, beautiful location”
- “We stayed in the Hillside Cottage in Spaxton in May for a week. We found the cottage clean, well looked after an very welcoming. The location was easy to find and isn't too far away from a few smaller towns with supermarkets, but is far enough in the countryside that it is very quiet. Well found the cottage well equipped for a family holiday (for us two adults and a 4 year old). The cottage has a modern feel with the perfect mix of old cottage environment. There is a wide variety of cooking utensils - although I'd suggest bringing a few knives, forks, spoons as those at the cottage are plastic. There are a lot of sharp knives and other cooking utensils otherwise. The only other thing worth noting to is to do some food shopping every couple of days - the fridge was ideal for us for fresh food for about two days, there is a freezer but it is a small freezer box in the fridge (ideal for us as we just needed a way to freeze our ice packs for our lunch bag). The beds were comfy and we slept well. The garden is a good size and although we didn't bring a dog I can see why people with a dog feel it's an ideal place for them. The washing machine was very useful - prevents loads of washing when we get home! LOVED the fire! There was a lot of information provided about walking routes and local attractions. Very very ideal for walkers. For us it was a little out of the way - about an hour to most kid friendly attractions, but there was a lot of variety on offer in the location. Also notable thing about the cottage is it is surrounded front & back with rapeseed fields and if you have hayfever or allergies make sure you bring some tablets. The views are spectacular though! Also wifi is located in cottage (or not shared off near location) - all info supplied in the house welcome book. Phone reception in and out in areas of the house. Overall we've been really impressed and have had a wonderful time. I'd highly recommend it as it's been so so lovely. I'd definitely come back again, excellent value for money”
- “We booked over the bank holiday weekend with our two dogs. The cottage is amazingly well equipped, a real home from home. It was a relaxing break, such a peaceful place to stay. Lovely outlook from bedroom window of fields and more fields. Dogs loved the back garden. Very central to tour Somerset and Devon. Would definitely recommend this cottage and would love to go back.”
- “My wife and I were lucky to find this cottage for the Easter break. In our opinion it was like home from home. The facilities were excellent. The cottage is clean, very well equipped and ALL needs are catered for. The enclosed garden was particularly safe for our dog. The location of the cottage is ideal for touring Somerset, plenty of information was supplied for doing so. We will definitely return in the future.”
- “A really lovely cosy cottage with everything you could need. It had a great garden and was super dog friendly, really enjoyed our break.”
- “We had a fabulous holiday the accommodation was 5 star, the cottage was more than we expected!”
- “A beautiful cottage with everything you could possibly need, and in a lovely village. The location is ideal for exploring Somerset. There were some lovely walks from the village which our dog also enjoyed.”
- “The cottage was very well equipped and furnished with a good garden for the dogs to play in. A peaceful location and ideally situated for touring Somerset.”
- “In our opinion it was like home from home. The cottage was very well equipped and comfortable. In a great location for touring Somerset. We couldn't of wished for a better place to stay, every need was catered for. Would hope to return in the future.”
- “Enjoyed the peace and quiet in Hillside cottage, which is a lovely well equipped cottage, gave us the chance to have a super relaxed holiday.”
- “An excellent location for a walking holiday with some easy walks from the cottage.”
- “A comfortable, clean and well equipped cottage in an excellent position.”
- “Beautiful cottage in lovely surroundings. A great deal of thought had gone into the design and furnishing of the accommodation, which made for a very easy and relaxing holiday. Really appreciated the safety gate and high chair for our young son, and the helpfulness of the man who called me with the key code and provided lots of useful information. The owners had also provided tonnes of information about the practicalities of the cottage and of local attractions, which again made planning our days very stress-free.”
- “Liked the peace and quiet, it was a pleasure to stay at Hillside Cottage. The owners had thought of everything to make your stay comfortable.”
- “The cottage was 'perfect' in every way. Everything had been well thought out. We loved the garden especially the views and sunsets over the back field. Again, well thought through to enable visitors to get the most out of it. I can not rave enough to my family and friends about this lovely place. We have stayed in several cottages over the years but this is my number one! I hope we will visit again in the future.”
- “A very nice cottage with everything we needed available- a comfortable home from home. An ideal location for all nearby attractions with a good sized garden for pets. I would willingly recommend this property.”
About the location
Bridgwater 6 miles; Taunton 8 miles; Glastonbury 21 miles.
Spaxton is a quiet rural village 6 miles west of Bridgwater within the foothills of the Quantock Hills, an area designated for its outstanding natural beauty. This Somerset village, mentioned in the Domesday Book, has retained much of the original charm, including pretty character cottages, restored almshouses, a well-stocked community shop and a friendly pub serving local produce. The Quantock Hills countryside is one of the finest in the south, they provide ample opportunity for walks, riding and mountain biking and there are magnificent views from the heath covered hilltops. The Coleridge Way is a popular long distance path through the Quantocks towards the Somerset coast and the Quantock Greenway passes through Spaxton. Local attractions offer wonderful gardens, monuments and rural arts and crafts. The historic city of Wells is nearby as is Glastonbury, well-known for pop festivals and the King Arthur legend. A fabulous area of Somerset providing a variety of interest.