- Off road parking
- Open fire
- Garden / Patio
- Cot available
- Highchair available
- Washing machine
A delightful Grade II listed property, in a wonderful peaceful setting, on the edge of the village of Elsdon.
Townfoot Cottage adjoins the owner's farmhouse and was originally an old farm cow byre.
Decorated, equipped and furnished to very high standards throughout, the cottage has retained much character with rugs over stone flagged and wooden floors.
The cottage enjoys views over Elsdon Burn towards the hills beyond, and is excellently situated for enjoying a variety of walks, including Hadrian's Wall, coastal paths and the Cheviot and Simonside hills.
Boasting lots of activities for the outdoors enthusiasts to enjoy, the area is great for watersports, cycling and fishing.
A warm and comfortable retreat from which to discover this ancient and fascinating area.
Two bedrooms: 1 x double, 1 x family with 3 single beds (both bedrooms have basins). Bathroom with bath with hand held shower, basin, bidet and WC. Well-equipped farmhouse-style kitchen with centre dining table and stone flagged floors. Comfortable sitting room with multi-fuel stove in stone surround.
LPG central heating with multi-fuel stove in sitting room. Double electric oven with separate gas hob, microwave, fridge/freezer, washing machine, TV, DVD player. Electricity, cooking gas and starter pack of fuel for stove inc. in rent, LPG gas central heating and hot water on a meter. Bed linen and towels inc. in rent. Cot and highchair on request. Front garden with off road parking. Private sheltered garden to the rear with garden furniture and BBQ. Two well-behaved pets welcome. Sorry, no smoking. Two mountain bikes on request for guests to use (at own risk). Shop in Otterburn 2 miles, pub 7 miles.
Note: Up until 6th January 2016, this property is pet-free. From 6th January 2016, the property accepts two well-behaved pets.
- Last minute
- “Best holiday rental ever”
- “The cottage has everything and the owner is extremely helpful. The week we stayed was classic British summer weather - sunshine and showers - but we still had a great time. Cottage has central heating and a wood-burning stove if the weather is cold. Small garden and a barbecue if the weather is good. Elsdon is very small (but quiet and pretty) so you need to drive if you want to buy anything or eat out. Nearest pubs/cafes/shop is in Otterburn which is about 10 minutes' drive away. Great location for exploring Northumberland and Durham - maximum 1.5 hours drive to most tourist destinations or walking areas. Local walks too if you want to have a lazy day.”
- “An idyllic retreat”
- “Townfoot Cottage provides a wonderful escape from the city. The living space is cosy and welcoming, but also has a bright and uncluttered feel. Everything you might need is to hand but there is also room to settle in. We were traveling with an infant and we appreciated that there is ample space for extra items such as a travel cot, car seat and pushchair. The beds upstairs had lovely plush duvets and provided a delightful night’s sleep. During our stay we took advantage of the location and explored Elsdon's Motte and Bailey and St Cuthbert’s Church. Later we took a scenic walk to Darden Lough. We also enjoyed just staying in the cottage, relishing the peace and quiet. The cottage owner lives next door and is readily available but we noticed that they walk to and from the main house using an alternate gate, so as not to disturb us. These sorts of thoughtful gestures helped make our stay perfect.”
- “Comfort and friendliness”
- “Having stayed at Townfoot Cottage on several occasions, our opinion is still the same - an excellent property very comfotable and the owner is always on hand if needed and very helpful. As already indicated we feel you should make it clear in your future catalogues that entry to property is from 4pm on day of arrival not 3pm - this did not howe ver detract from our enjoyment of the week”
- “A perfect place to stay”
- “We stayed at Townfoot Cottage for a week last fall and were very favourably impressed. The cottage is well-equipped for any weather: there’s an effective central heating and hot water system and a marvellous wood-burning stove in the sitting room that we used in the cooler evenings. There are also board games, Freeview TV, DVD player with a selection of DVDs, and a small library of novels. We were blessed with a warm sunny week and got in some lovely hill walks in the area. There’s a little-known local walk up to Darden Lough that’s well worth the effort with panoramic views from the lake at the top of the hill. All in all we had a fantastic stay at the cottage. It was perfect for us and we will be back again.”
- “Cosy and relaxing”
- “Newly baked scones, homemade jam and tea things are laid ready on the table to welcome guests. The cottage is very well appointed and the decor is excellent but not overstated. There is a good shop in Otterburn, only 2 miles away, where you can get newspapers and all basic food requirements. About 10 miles away there is an excellent Farm Shop at Wallington Hall. Elsdon is a good centre from which to visit the whole of Northumberland and the border towns in Scotland, but for those more active visitors there are good walks nearby. Newcastle with all its amenities is only a 30 minute drive away. This is a really lovely place to stay; if I must find something not quite perfect it is the lack of a walk-in shower, but that's just my personal preference.”
- “The property was very clean and well furnished with everything we needed for our week's holiday.”
- “It was a beautiful cottage in a lovely part of the country with a very welcoming owner. All in all it was a fabulous break!”
- “A clean and comfortable property with lots to see and do.”
- “The owner was very welcoming and a pleasure to meet. Elsdon is a very good location for exploring Northumberland which, even during a cold week in February, was very beautiful. Overall this comfy, cosy cottage was one of the best we've stayed in and we'll definitely be considering a repeat visit.”
- “Really nice, cosy cottage and friendly owner too! Lots of walking and cycling (road and mountain biking) nearby. It was very nice to return to Townfoot Cottage and light up the fire!”
- “Beautiful cottage, the owner had paid great attention to detail and provided lots of extra finishing touches. The best equipped kitchen ever. The quality of the towels and bedding were very good too.”
- “Never been to Northumberland before - lovely lovely place. Cottage was lovely and the owners very pleasant, it was ideally suited to our need for somewhere central to the area but also peaceful but not miles from amenities. Avid National Trust members so was fantastic, visitors with us from Australia so we were able to show them the UK at its best, although the weather could have been kinder.”
- “The cottage was of a very good standard and the owner extremely welcoming. Located in a lovely part of Northumberland in a quiet village, which made for a relaxing holiday. Would stay again.”
About the location
Otterburn 2 miles; Rothbury 10 miles.
Set in the heart of the Cheviots, on the edge of the Northumberland National Park, the unspoilt village of Elsdon lies in a sheltered hollow amidst beautiful fells, rolling moorland and woodlands. The area is steeped in history, and has numerous listed sites within the Parish, dominated by the fortified Pele Tower. The village of Elsdon has been described as the perfect Northumbrian village, with an ancient parish church, an extensive village green and the remains of a Motte and Bailey Castle, as well as the famous gibbet at the summit of Gallow Hill, with wonderful views over the surrounding countryside. There are several pubs within a 15-minutes drive of the cottage, including The Redesdale Arms, a 16th century coaching inn known locally as the 'First and Last' Inn on the way to Scotland. There is a good range of shops in the small but attractive market town of Rothbury within easy driving distance, and with the National Cycle Route (No 68) running close by, this is spectacular walking and cycling country. A peaceful area full of interest to explore!