Our guide to the best vineyards & wineries in Cornwall
Cornwall’s mild climate and long sunlight hours make it one of the finest regions for wine production in the UK. Find out where to sample the county's best wine in our Cornish vineyards guide.
Polmassick Vineyard, St Ewe, South Cornwall
Planted in 1978, Polmassick Vineyard lays claim to Cornwall’s oldest vineyard. The winery was recently taken over by new owners Nick and Jo West, who planted several new grape varieties, including Seyval Blanc, Muller Thurgau, Pinot Noir, Ortega and Kernling.
As a result, Polmassick now produce a handful of high-quality Cornish wines, including their flagship white and rosé, and a rich, oaky red aptly named Polmassick Red. The vineyard is open to the public between May and September each year, and features a charming, bunting-clad wine garden where refreshing wine is served by the glass – the perfect place to soak up the sun amid beautiful Cornish scenery.
Polmassick’s cellar features a good selection of refreshing white and rosé wines, though they do produce a rich red too. Taking Pinot Noir, Ortega and Kernling grapes, Polmassick’s rosé is a highlight, and the perfect accompaniment to a sunny summer picnic.
- Address: Polmassick Vineyard, St. Ewe, St. Austell, Cornwall, PL26 6HA
- Vineyard Tours: Available on request between May & September each year.
- Opening times: Open Wed-Sun 12pm-5pm from last weekend in May to last weekend in September.
- Contact: 01726 844427; www.polmassickvineyard.co.uk
Polgoon Vineyard & Orchard, Penzance, West Cornwall
Beyond the palm trees of Penzance is Polgoon Vineyard, a 23-acre winery specialising in artisan wine and refreshing cider. Established in 2007 by John & Kim Coulson, Polgoon has scooped a number of awards, including the coveted Vintners association prize for “Best Still Rosé in the UK”.
Aside from its selection of high-quality wines, Polgoon also produces refreshing Cornish ciders, including the award-winning Raspberry Aval, which won Gold at the Taste of the West Awards in 2009. There’s a selection of delicious alcohol-free juices too, perfect for those under 18. Polgoon prides itself on its artisan approach to wine, cider and juice production, something which becomes apparent on a vineyard tour and tasting.
Polgoon produces still red, white and rosé wines, as well as several sparkling varieties including Ruby Rosé and Elderflower. Cider fans will appreciate Polgoon’s fresh take on ‘Aval’ – Cornish for apple – cider, not to mention their delicious Cornish Pink and Black varieties. All of Polgoon’s produce is available to buy onsite or online.
- Address: Polgoon Vineyard & Orchard, Rosehill, Penzance, Cornwall, TR80 8TE
- Vineyard Tours: Available Wed, Thurs, Fri at 2pm March to October, £10. Booking advised.
- Opening Times: January & February: 10am - 4.30pm Mon-Sat; April to December: 10am - 5.30pm Mon-Sat, 10.30am - 4.30pm Sundays.
- Contact: 01736 333946; www.polgoon.com
West Cornwall also has a range of fabulous restaurants covering a variety of cuisines. Take a look through our 5 of the best restaurants in West Cornwall guide and let us help you pick a place to enjoy an excellent meal.
Bosue Vineyard, St Ewe, South Cornwall
Cool climate grape varieties such as Phoenix, Solaris and Regent have helped Paul and Liz Sibley – the owners of Bosue Vineyard – produce a fine range of Cornish wines. Vines were first planted in the fertile soils above St Ewe in 1996, and since then the vineyard has produced several award-winning wines including a 2011 Sparkling Rosé, awarded a silver-medal at the 2014 English and Welsh Wine Competition.
Visitors to Bosue can take a guided tour of the vineyard to discover how the wines are produced, before returning to the cellar door to taste the wines and enjoy fine views over the serene Cornish countryside. To find out when Bosue Vineyard tours are available, contact the site using the details below.
Bosue Vineyard is renowned for its high quality rosé wines, whose deep colour and fruit flavours are synonymous with the Cornish Rondo grape. The vineyard also produces excellent sparkling and still white wines, such as the 2006 Sparkling Brut which scooped bronze at the English and Welsh Wine of the Year Competition 2014.
- Address: Bosue Vineyard, St Ewe, St Austell, Cornwall, PL26 6EU
- Vineyard Tours: Information about open days and tour prices available on request.
- Opening Times: Open for sales Mon, Thurs, Fri 11am-6pm from May to October; at other times wine is available to buy on request.
- Contact: 01726 843159; www.bosuevineyard.co.uk
Camel Valley, Bodmin, Bodmin Moor & Tamar Valley
On the sun-blushed slopes above the famous River Camel lies Camel Valley, a vineyard with some 24,000 vines and a number of grape varieties including Bacchus, Seyval Blanc, Rondo, and Chardonnay. The vineyard was established in 1989 by Bob Lindo and his wife Annie, who originally used the land for rearing sheep and cattle.
Now one of England’s most celebrated vineyards, Camel Valley is managed by the Lindos’ son, Sam, who has produced a multitude of award-winning wines including Camel Valley Brut, Bacchus Dry and Pinot Noir. Camel Valley is often included among Europe’s top vineyards, and Matthew Jukes, a wine columnist for the Daily Mail, described it as “the most impressive estate on our shores”.
Camel Valley produce a range of superb red, white and sparkling wines, all of which are available to buy in the vineyard’s onsite shop or online.
- Address: Camel Valley Ltd, Nanstallon, Bodmin, Cornwall, PL30 5LG
- Vineyard Tours: Available Mon - Fri at 2.30pm, £7.50; in-depth tour every Wednesday, £10
- Opening Times: Wine shop open 10am - 5pm, Mon-Fri all-year round
- Contact: 01208 77959; www.camelvalley.com
Knightor Winery, Nr St Austell, South Cornwall
Marketed as a “boutique winery”, Knightor is one of Cornwall’s only vineyards to feature a restaurant, and it serves a combination of fresh, Mediterranean-inspired cuisine and, of course, a glass of premium Cornish vino. The winery is built within a cluster of old granite barns, and provides the perfect place to sit and enjoy a carafe of the county’s finest on a sunny summer’s day.
Wine produced here comes from vineries at Portscatho and St Martin’s, where over 17,000 vines mature on the sun-drenched slopes of the Roseland peninsular and the grasslands overlooking Whitsand Bay. Since the maiden crop of 2010, Knightor has won several awards, including a Bronze Medal at the UK Vineyard’s Assosciation wine show for both its Madelaine Angevine and Trevannion wines.
Knightor offers a limited selection of premium quality white and rosé wines, including their flagship white, Pinot Gris 2011. Other wines to tempt the palate include the Knightor NV and First Vintage Rosé. In the onsite restaurant and winery, specially selected wines from other vineyards in the south west are available, including Camel Valley, Polgoon and Bosue wines.
- Address: Knightor, Trethurgy, Nr St Austell, Cornwall, PL26 8YQ
- Vineyard Tours: Tour and tasting followed by two-course lunch £17.95 per person; tour and tasting followed by two-course evening meal £22.95 per person. Guided tours available Thurs to Sun at 5pm; additional tours available at midday Sat & Sun, £8.95.
- Opening times: Cellar Door Café open 10am to 5pm Sun-Wed, 10am to 8pm Thurs-Sat. Restaurant open for lunch 12pm-3pm Thurs-Sun; open for dinner 6pm-9pm Thurs-Sun. Restaurant booking essential.
- Contact: 01726 851101; www.knightor.com
Come and try 5 of the best vineyards in Cornwall and stay in our Cornish holiday cottages. Book your break today.